Genre-crossing and exploratory creative processes
The Performing Arts with Specialisation in Contemporary Performative Arts programme of the University of Gothenburg is for those who are interested in genre-crossing expressions and styles for non-traditional venues. A recurring focus is public space and its power structures, and challenges in the relationship between actor and spectator. The main focus is your exploratory project that you develop with various perspectives, including performative sound arts, physical and site-specific gestures, films, and public spaces. You will be able to immerse yourself in your own and others’ artistic methods, reflect on the role of the performative arts in a cross-disciplinary context, and place your specific practice in relation to other artistic expressions.
Interdisciplinary and collaborative
The programme is characterized by an interdisciplinary environment through interaction with fellow students and visiting lecturers, where societal, site-specific, and dramaturgical aspects are central issues. Also included are courses focusing on society, contemporary dramatists, digital tools, site-specific aspects, and public spaces as an arena for artistic expression. The Academy of Music and Drama provides a platform for collaboration with students in other programmes in both theatrical and musical areas. Teachers and artists who are active nationally and internationally participate in the programme, and we collaborate with other universities, institutions, independent groups, platforms, and performing artists both locally and internationally.
An in-depth exploration and development of your ideas
Half of the programme consists of your investigative project, with one module per semester dedicated to it. One aspect of the project is working with experimental forms of academic and artistic writing, and you will receive support through individual supervision. Through seminars, workshops, and lab forums, your project is regularly processed in feedback sessions along with fellow students. This part of the programme has a clear connection with artistic research in the field. Within the framework of this course, you have a great deal of freedom to test new ideas and reflect on your choices.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Performative Arts in a Changing World
- Reflecting Artistic Practice
- Artistical Digital Practices
- Contemporary Dramaturgies
- Public Space and Site Specific Performance
- Art, Leadership and Communication
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesTheatre & Dance View 5 other Masters in Theatre & Dance in Sweden
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Bachelor of arts degree in fine arts or equivalent, as well as knowledge and skills in performing arts that are assessed at the admission test and are the basis for selection
- Professional experience in theatre, physical performance, live art, dance, or sound art is a requirement
- Applicants must prove their knowledge of English: English 6/English B from Swedish Upper Secondary School or the equivalent level of an internationally recognized test, for example TOEFL, IELTS
- Submit your portfolio (project idea, timetable, cv) through SlideRoom
International52297 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 104595 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
- Full programme cost: 1,062,000 SEK
- No fees are charged for EU and EEA citizens, Swedish residence permit holders and exchange students.
Living costs for Göteborg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.