As a response to the major environmental crises and changing life conditions for humans as well as other species, this interdisciplinary Education for Sustainable Development Programme from University of Gothenburg brings together four departments at the University of Gothenburg and on at Chalmers University of Technology in a pioneering curriculum at the forefront of the international research debate on education and sustainability.
The ESD Master’s Programme prepares you not only to respond to local and global sustainability challenges, but also to counteract them and contribute to more sustainable futures through education and research.
As a Master’s student in the ESD programme you will enter into critical dialogue with recent scientific debates in the educational, social, and natural sciences, and get access to a range of analytic tools that will help you develop theoretical as well as practice-based knowledge in education for sustainable development.
Why study this programme?
The ESD Master's Programme is of interest if you:
- Want to work for increased public awareness, knowledge and action competence in sustainable development;
- Are interested in supporting learning for sustainable development among diverse groups;
- Are involved in social movements for the environment, and want to learn more about the role of education in creating a more equitable, peaceful, and ecologically viable world;
- Are a teacher/educator looking for ideas and strategies to better integrate education for sustainable development in your classrooms or in community settings;
- Want to pursue a research career in the broad area of education for sustainable development.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Education for sustainable development, an introduction
- Environment, Nature and Sustainable Development in an Educational Perspective
- Citizenship, social values and ethics in sustainability education
- Economy, Global Inequality and Pathways to Sustainability
- Researching Education for Sustainable Development
- Theory and Method of Research in Education for Sustainable Development
- Degree Project for Master in Education and Sustainability
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Sustainable Development View 44 other Masters in Sustainable Development in Sweden
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- A Bachelor s Degree of 180 credits is required, or a professional qualification specialising in the school system of at least 180 credits and an individual degree project/thesis of 15 credits within or outside the degree, or equivalent knowledge and skills. Applicants must prove their knowledge of English: English 6/English B from Swedish Upper Secondary School or the equivalent level of an internationally recognized test, for example TOEFL, IELTS.
- Selection is based upon the number of credits from previous university studies, maximum 225 credits.
International8194 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 16389 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
- Application fee: 900 SEK
- Full programme cost: 172 000 SEK
- First payment: 43 000 SEK
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.