Geology, the science of the Earth, is concerned with understanding:
- The Earth's internal structure and composition, its dynamic character (earthquakes, volcanoes, plate tectonics), and the processes that occur within it
- The processes that shape the surface of the Earth, and the materials that constitute its surface layers
- The origin, occurrence, extraction and conservation of the Earth's natural resources - minerals, fossil fuels, soils, water
- The place of the Earth within the Solar System
- The history of life on Earth.
Increasingly, understanding of geological principles and processes is essential for those concerned with awareness of natural hazards, civil engineering problems, impacts of global change, the responsible utilisation of Earth's natural resources, pollution and waste disposal, and environmental and resource planning and monitoring.
This Master of Science - Geology is taught at University of Otago.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Research Project
- Current Topics and Advanced Methods in Geoscience
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Entrance requirements for postgraduate study vary by programme with most requiring a minimum bachelor-level qualification in the same field, and some having additional requirements such as relevant work experience and/or professional registration in New Zealand.
- A postgraduate certificate or postgraduate diploma can usually be taken at any time after the completion of your bachelor's degree.
- If you hold an honours degree or postgraduate diploma you may be able to eligible for master’s study by thesis only. In some cases if you hold a bachelor’s degree you may apply for a coursework master’s degree or for master’s study by coursework and thesis.
International21106 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 21106 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
National5707 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5707 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
- National: 9,398 NZD
- International: 34,755 NZD
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.