Postgraduate Diploma in Science - Botany at University of Otago includes their structure and development, physiology and biochemistry, health and disease, relationships with other organisms and the environment (ecology), as well as the traditional aspects of plant identification and classification.
The main emphasis at Otago is on the general biology, ecology and physiology of higher plants and marine algae, although other groups (conifers, ferns, mosses and fungi) are also included in the papers offered.
There will always be jobs for plant scientists because plants are so fundamental to life on earth.
The world’s economies are highly dependent on plants and their associated habitats, not only for food production but also for timber, for the fibres and chemical compounds plants produce and for the ecological services they provide, such as removing CO2 from the atmosphere.
Plant scientists are employed around the world in industry, governmental and non-governmental organisations that seek to understand and conserve the natural environment, and to educate people about it.
Botany graduates are in high demand in industries such as biotechnology, horticulture, tourism and agriculture.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Research Project
- Plant Physiology and Biotechnology
- Plant and Environment
- New Zealand Plant Ecology and Evolution
- Special Topics
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesBiology Plant & Crop Sciences Biochemistry View 6 other Masters in Plant & Crop Sciences in New Zealand
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Entrance requirements for postgraduate study vary by programme with most requiring a minimum bachelor-level qualification in the same field, and some having additional requirements such as relevant work experience and/or professional registration in New Zealand.
- A postgraduate certificate or postgraduate diploma can usually be taken at any time after the completion of your bachelor's degree.
- If you hold an honours degree or postgraduate diploma you may be able to eligible for master’s study by thesis only. In some cases if you hold a bachelor’s degree you may apply for a coursework master’s degree or for master’s study by coursework and thesis.
International21106 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 21106 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
National5707 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5707 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
- National: 9,398 NZD
- International: 34,755 NZD
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.