Dunedin is the wildlife capital of New Zealand with colonies of seals, albatross and penguins all living within the city's boundaries. It is no accident that it has also become a centre for those involved in natural history filmmaking. The Centre for Science Communication has strong links with the publishing industry, the world’s second-largest producer of documentaries (NHNZ) and the Otago Museum which is undergoing significant redevelopment of its galleries with a focus on science engagement.
Students in the Master of Applied Science - Science Communication offered at University of Otago can undertake postgraduate study in one of three areas:
- Creative Non-Fiction Writing in Science (CNFW)
- Science and Natural History Filmmaking (SNHF)
- Science in Society (SSOC)
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Communicating Science
- Science and the Public
- The Craft of Storytelling
- Science and Creative Non-Fiction Writing
- Science Communication Internship
- Business of Filmmaking
- Science Exhibitions and Interpretation
- Science Communication
- The Techniques of Natural History and Science Filmmaking
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesCommunication Sciences View 16 other Masters in Communication Sciences in New Zealand
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Entrance requirements for postgraduate study vary by programme with most requiring a minimum bachelor-level qualification in the same field, and some having additional requirements such as relevant work experience and/or professional registration in New Zealand.
- A postgraduate certificate or postgraduate diploma can usually be taken at any time after the completion of your bachelor's degree.
- If you hold an honours degree or postgraduate diploma you may be able to eligible for master’s study by thesis only. In some cases if you hold a bachelor’s degree you may apply for a coursework master’s degree or for master’s study by coursework and thesis.
International31843 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 31843 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
National5707 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5707 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
- National: 9,398 NZD
- International: 52,133 NZD
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.