Consequently, questions about language, and particularly the nature of its structure, use and development, have engaged scholars from a wide range of disciplines. Linguistics is the discipline that addressses these and other related questions directly.
SpecializationMaster of Arts - Linguistics at University of Otago comprises different areas of specialisation:
- phonetics (the study of speech sounds)
- phonology (the study of sound systems)
- morphology (the study of the internal structure of words)
- syntax (the study of how words are combined into sentences)
- semantics (the study of meaning)
- pragmatics (the study of meaning in relation to the way language is used)
- socio-linguistics (the study of language in its social context)
- historical linguistics (the study of language change)
- universal typology (the study of language universals and differences)
- acquisition (the study of how first and second languages are learned)
- applied linguistics (the application of linguistics to language teaching and other professional activities)
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Linguistics View 44 other Masters in Language Studies in New Zealand
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Entrance requirements for postgraduate study vary by programme with most requiring a minimum bachelor-level qualification in the same field, and some having additional requirements such as relevant work experience and/or professional registration in New Zealand.
- A postgraduate certificate or postgraduate diploma can usually be taken at any time after the completion of your bachelor's degree.
- If you hold an honours degree or postgraduate diploma you may be able to eligible for master’s study by thesis only. In some cases if you hold a bachelor’s degree you may apply for a coursework master’s degree or for master’s study by coursework and thesis.
International20964 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20964 USD per year during 12 months.
National5042 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5042 USD per year during 12 months.
- National: $6,928.00
- International: $28,805
Living costs for Dunedin
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.