The Molecular Biology and Evolution program at the University of Kiel is founded on the idea that interdisciplinary thinking enhances in-depth understanding of biological phenomena. For example, the complexity that are characteristic for many molecular processes can often only be understood by taking into account their evolutionary origin. Similarly, the evolution of particular trait functions may also often depend on the underlying molecular mechanisms.
MAMBE will foster such interdisciplinary connections. In the first two semesters, you will learn about the basic mechanisms and processes of molecules and evolution. Additionally, you will enhance your skill set in scientific communication and management (e.g., preparation of seminar talks, or writing of grant applications, etc). During the third semester, the acquired competences will be applied to real research life in the laboratory and field. The fourth semester will consist of your Master thesis.
MAMBE graduates will be very well prepared for a doctorate in an interdisciplinary biological research field and, as such, are also highly attractive for industry, small companies or governmental offices that are active in one of the following fields: Research and development of new products, possibly using evolutionary principles for product improvement, in biology, medicine or related field (e.g., pharmaceutical industry, biotechnology, medicine) and also agriculture (animal and plant breeding); Service sector (e.g., development of diagnostics, implementation of clinical studies, large scale screening); and also Governmental sector (as biologists in public authorities, research institutes or universities).
- Evolution of Organisms and Molecules
- Molecular Biology of Dynamic Processes
- Evolution of UV-B Resistance
- Evolution, Ecology and Genetics
- Inference of Positive Selection
- Population Genomics
- Molecular Evolution of Biotic Interactions
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiology Molecular Sciences Biochemistry View 94 other Masters in Biology in Germany
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Curriculum vitae in tabular form of your educational background
- Copy of your passport – Please make a copy of the photo page of your passport (with your name and photo)
- Payment receipt for the UNI-ASSIST application fe
- School-leaving certificate entitling the holder to study at university in his/her home country, with a list of subjects and grades
- University certificates (e.g. your Bachelor's or Master's degree) including the corresponding list of subjects with individual grades
- Certificate of the passed assessment test of a German Studienkolleg including an overview of grades, if available
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
There is no tuition fee for studying at CAU Kiel! This applies to international students as well.
Living costs for Kiel
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.