The Master of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences (Research) at Swinburne University of Technology offers students the opportunity to undertake supervised research in the related discipline of their choice, with the aim of submitting a major thesis of 20,000 words.
Candidates develop a range of skills, including independent thinking, project management, data analysis and critical thinking, as well as refined communication skills.
The program fosters the development of independent research skills, making it ideal preparation for those looking to undertake further research through a PhD program and/or pursue a career in research.
Aims and objectives
Upon successful completion of the Master of Research graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate skills to investigate, analyse, synthesise and critically evaluate current theory and knowledge in one or more disciplines
- Demonstrate an advanced knowledge of research principles and methods and ability to apply appropriate methods to answer a research question
- Demonstrate ability to design and conduct a coherent, independent research project and successfully execute it in a timely and self-directed manner
- Demonstrate communication and technical skills through the presentation of a coherent and sustained argument in both verbal and written forms
- Design, evaluate, implement, analyse, theorise and disseminate research that makes a contribution to knowledge
- Work independently and ethically.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The Master of Research offers students the opportunity to undertake supervised research in the related discipline of their choice. Candidates develop a range of skills, including independent thinking, project management, data analysis and critical thinking, as well as refined communication skills.
- The program fosters the development of independent research skills, making it ideal preparation for those looking to undertake further research through a PhD program and/or pursue a career in research.
- A Master of Research candidate will undertake supervised research with the aim of completing a major thesis that demonstrates mastery of inquiry in a field of a discipline or profession.
- Seven core units of study (112.5 credit points)
- One minor thesis of 20,000 words
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesSociology Educational Research Liberal Arts View 78 other Masters in Educational Research in Australia
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
CRICOS code 094718F
To be eligible for admission into the Master of Research, an applicant must have successfully completed an undergraduate degree issued from a university approved by Swinburne. Applicants must have achieved an average of 65% across all units in the final year of their degree.
International applicants must provide evidence of one of the following:
- minimum IELTS overall band of 6.5 (Academic Module) with no individual band below 6.0 or an equivalent no longer than 24 months before submitting your application
- satisfactory completion of Swinburne’s English for Academic Purposes (EAP 5 Advanced level) with overall 70%, all skills 65%
- successful completion of a total of 24 months (full time equivalent) of formal study where the language of instruction and assessment was English at AQF level 7 or above (or equivalent) at an approved university no longer than 60 months before submitting your application.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International31720 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31720 AUD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Melbourne
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.