The Master of Business Information Systems at Swinburne University of Technology offers students the knowledge and skills required to work as an analyst in this field. Students learn about the underpinnings of information systems, including studies in business analysis, IT project management and enterprise information management, requirements analysis, database design and professional issues. They also learn how to approach organisational problems from a broader, interdisciplinary perspective, and address information systems risk management, enterprise architecture, and information systems strategy and governance. Students select a specialisation from business analysis, IT project management or enterprise information management, and may broaden their study by undertaking elective units. Students complete a research project, enabling them to build an area of expertise.
The Master of Business Information Systems has been designed to provide a thorough understanding of the use and management of information systems in organisations. Students gain an overview of the technologies and look at management areas such as IS risk management, enterprise architecture, IS strategy and governance. Students undertake initial study of business analysis and IT project management and select one of these areas, or enterprise information management for in-depth study. Students also undertake a research project and have the opportunity to broaden or deepen their study via the electives in the course, enabling them to build an individual area of knowledge.
The Master of Business Information Systems is part of a nested suite of programs, which includes the Graduate Certificate of Business Information Systems and the Graduate Diploma of Business Information Systems.
Upon successfully completing the Master of Business Information Systems, graduates will be able to:
1. demonstrate an understanding of the fundamental aspects and interdisciplinary nature of information systems in organisations
2. demonstrate a broad understanding of the underpinnings of information systems, including business analysis, requirements analysis, database design and analysis, the management of information systems, IT project management and professional issues
3. critically evaluate a range of theories and practices pertaining to the use of information systems in organisations, and apply them in the context of business analysis, IT project management and enterprise information management
4. draw on their interdisciplinary knowledge base to approach and analyse organisational problems from both a broader information systems perspective and the specific perspective of business analysis, IT project management or enterprise information management
5. communicate effectively with key stakeholders, develop effective working relationships, and appreciate the social, political and cultural contexts in which these key stakeholders interact
6. demonstrate creativity and flexibility in the application of knowledge and skills to new situations, to solve complex problems, to respond to ethical organisational and IS/IT issues and dilemmas, and to think rigorously and independently
7. demonstrate an understanding and appreciation of the fundamental research principles, research methods, and/or research design within a chosen and/or specified context in the area of information systems.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Business Analytics and Visualisation
- Advanced Business Analysis
- IS/IT Research Project
- Business Analysis Practice
- Contemporary Issues in Business Analysis
- Business Process Management
- Governing Technology for Business Environments
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesBusiness Administration Business Intelligence & Analytics Business Information Systems View 72 other Masters in Business Intelligence & Analytics in Australia
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
CRICOS code 092700K
- Successful completion of an undergraduate degree in any discipline equivalent to an Australian Bachelor degree. Students with an undergraduate degree in IS or IT may be eligible for up to four exemptions and depending on the number of exemption(s) given, will need to complete at least 12 more units to qualify for the award or
- Students with other tertiary degrees (i.e. graduate certificate, graduate diploma) in IS or IT may be eligible for exemptions on a case-by-case basis or
- Successful completion of the Masters Qualifying Program
International34280 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 34280 AUD per year and a duration of 12 months.
National29600 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 29600 AUD per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.