In the Remote Sensing, geoInformation and Visualization MSc course at the University of Potsdam you will develop an advanced understanding of remote sensing in theory and practice. The program begins by addressing fundamental principles in the recording and processing of spatial data as they are typically gathered by means of remote sensing methodologies. The program teaches advanced scientific principles of physics, chemistry, and biology to quantify environmental process, the recording of remote sensing data and their interaction with the environment, as well as practical skills in the application of modern data processing methods. The program will grant you an overview of the broad range of available remote sensing technologies and data-processing methodologies. You will learn how to apply these technologies and methods to specific problems in scientific and applied scenarios. We use modern data visualization tools to prepare our data, for example in the generation of prognoses, scientific communication, and the comprehensible presentation of data to representatives from other disciplines as well as non-specialist decision-makers. The program thereby offers a comprehensive, interdisciplinary understanding of, as well as a critical perspective towards, the solution and evaluation of geoscientific questions.
Future fields of work include positions in public administration, such as in municipal, regional and land use planning; natural disaster management and response, as well as environmental monitoring; research in the university and in institutions outside universities. Diverse employment opportunities are also possible in the IT industry, for example in software development in the field of digital mapping; in the insurance and real estate industry; the construction industry; the transportation industry; and in the leisure and tourism sectors.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Remote Sensing of the Environment
- Earth System Science
- Data Analysis and Statistics
- Geoinformation Systems
- Visualization and Communication
- Master’s Thesis
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Admission to the Remote Sensing, geoInformation and Visualization master’s degree program requires a qualifying university degree in the field of the geosciences, geography, physics, mathematics, biology, environmental sciences, information science, or a similar program of study with a standard period of study of at least three years and a total share of at least 36 credit points (CP) in the geosciences, biology, physics, chemistry or information science. An additional 12 CP of mathematics coursework must also be documented.
- Moreover, your English language skills must correspond at least to the B2 level of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
- 280 Euros per semester administrative fee
Living costs for Potsdam
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.