In light of contemporary developments in the integration of Islamic art and its reformulation in modern architecture, there is a growing need for experts who are able to combine heritage with contemporary techniques and trends through providing innovative architectural and urban design solutions.
The Islamic Art, Architecture and Urbanism program of the Hamad Bin Khalifa University is conducted in collaboration with the University of Oxford in the UK. It aims to equip future designers, curators, and historians with a critical and informed understanding of Islamic art and architecture, in order to create and publish socially relevant material that promotes self-identity in the region.
This program encourages research towards safeguarding Islamic cultural heritage by examining the contextual history of Islamic art, architecture, and urbanism. Graduates of this program will be able to pursue careers in Islamic art history, contemporary mosque architecture, and sustainable urbanism fields.
- The MS in Islamic Art, Architecture and Urbanism program is unique in focus, structure, and content with no similar program being offered in the Islamic world. The program focuses on the critical construction, acquisition, dissemination, and application of art history, architecture, and urbanism to international institutions in general, and more specifically to diverse Islamic societies.
- The program is comprehensive in nature, as it delves into the art, architecture, and urbanism of a wide range of Islam-influenced civilizations.
- It offers specializations that aim to develop critical tools for the analysis of buildings and public spaces at different scales, and advanced skills for their application in architectural design projects. Another track endeavors to develop expertise in the study and display of historical objects and the deep understanding and appreciation required to exhibit such objects.
- The program utilizes creative platforms outside the traditional classroom, such as collaborative workshops by international figures in the field, a lecture series in collaboration with the Museum of Islamic Art in Doha, and opportunities to explore a different country in the Islamic world every year.
- It is a personalized program that enables students to understand current dynamics in the field using the skills acquired during the course of study.
- Qur’anic Civilizations, Geography, and Archaeology
- History of Islamic Art and Architecture I (650-1250)
- History of Islamic Art and Architecture II (1250-1900)
- Survey of Architectural Typologies of the Islamic World
- Sustainable Islamic Urbanism: Past and Present
- Islamic Objects and Manuscripts
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesArchitecture Visual Arts Islamic Studies View 5 other Masters in Islamic Studies in Qatar
- A strong academic record (minimum 3.0 GPA out of 4.0) from a recognized university.
- A bachelor's degree or knowledge in Art, History, Archeology, Interior Architecture/Design, Architecture, and Urban Planning
- IELTS 6.5 or TOEFL 79
- Official electronic copies of transcripts and graduation statements should be submitted as part of the online application
- Applicants should submit two letters of recommendation
- Applicants should submit a personal statement as part of the online application
- Applicants should submit a copy of their current resume or curriculum vitae
- All applicants should submit an electronic copy of their passport as part of the online application
International9887 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19774 USD for the full programme during 24 months.
National9887 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19774 USD for the full programme during 24 months.
- QAR 72,000 per full
Living costs for Ar Rayyan
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.