It aims to equip future designers, curators, and historians with a critical and informed understanding of Islamic art and architecture, in order to create and publish socially relevant material that promotes self-identity in the region.
This master in Islamic Art, Architecture and Urbanism from Hamad Bin Khalifa University encourages research towards safeguarding Islamic cultural heritage by examining the contextual history of Islamic art, architecture, and urbanism. Graduates of this program will be able to pursue careers in Islamic art history, contemporary mosque architecture, and sustainable urbanism fields.
- The MS in Islamic Art, Architecture and Urbanism program is unique in focus, structure, and content with no similar program being offered in the Islamic world. The program focuses on the critical construction, acquisition, dissemination, and application of art history, architecture, and urbanism to international institutions in general, and more specifically to diverse Islamic societies.
The program is comprehensive in nature, as it delves into the art, architecture, and urbanism of a wide range of Islam-influenced civilizations.
- It offers specializations that aim to develop critical tools for the analysis of buildings and public spaces at different scales, and advanced skills for their application in architectural design projects. Another track endeavors to develop expertise in the study and display of historical objects and the deep understanding and appreciation required to exhibit such objects.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Qur’anic Civilizations, Geography, and Archaeology
- History of Islamic Art and Architecture I (650-1250)
- History of Islamic Art and Architecture II (1250-1900)
- Independent Project Modelling
- Research and Design Methods
- Survey of Architectural Typologies of the Islamic World
- Sustainable Islamic Urbanism: Past and Present
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesArchitecture Visual Arts Liberal Arts
Applicants seeking admission to the Master of Science in Islamic Art, Architecture and Urbanism should have bachelor’s degree from a recognized university with a strong academic record (minimum 3.0 GPA or equivalent) in the related fields of Art History, Archaeology, Interior Architecture/Design, Architecture, and Urban Planning. Applicants are required to submit an IELTS score of 6.5 or a TOEFL score of 79 to demonstrate their proficiency in English. Applicants can be exempt from this requirement if they meet one of the conditions listed below:
- The applicant completed their studies at a university in a country where English is the native language
- The applicant provides an official letter confirming that they obtained their degree from a university where the medium of instruction is English (if not otherwise exempt)
- The applicant's first language is English
International9888 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19776 USD for the full programme during 24 months.
National9888 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19776 USD for the full programme during 24 months.
QAR 72,000 per full
Living costs for Ar Rayyan
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.