The MA Screenwriting at the University of the Arts London (UAL) is one of the UK’s leading film and TV scripting courses, with a strong reputation in the industry.
Leading the field, this industry-focused screenwriting course is aimed at developing writers for film, television and/or radio industries. The course will provide you with the opportunity to develop the abilities, knowledge and skills you will need for a career in scriptwriting.
What can you expect?
- MA Screenwriting introduces you to the foundations of contemporary scriptwriting practice in theoretical context.
- You will develop research methodologies that will become the foundation for future practice and analysis. The course offers you the opportunity to study feature film, television and radio narrative, the development of a script from a short story and research, which lays the foundation for your major project.
- You will also complete a collaborative unit that reflects your specialist interests in scriptwriting and related topics, whilst engaging with the need to understand and communicate with the industry you wish to work in.
- In the last term of the course, you will undertake a Major Project that allows you to focus on a specialist area of interest that you identified during your previous study. You will write several drafts of an original screenplay for film or TV or a TV pilot episode(s) with format documents. In addition, you will engage in peer-to-peer review and the writing of reader reports.
CareersA high percentage of MA Screenwriting graduates go on to work in the industry as writers, script editors, producers, development executives, directors and readers. Graduates are employed not only in the UK but also in Europe, around the world and even in Hollywood.Current and past students are also regularly nominated for national and international awards, in addition, won critically acclaimed awards such as the Emmy Award, Page Award and The Palme d’Or.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Short Film: Process and Practice
- Industry Knowledge, Skills and Methodologies
- TV / Film / Radio: Adaptation - Critical Analysis and Research Methodologies
- Major Project
- 15 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media View 313 other Masters in Film, Photography & Media in United Kingdom
- Honours degree
- Possession of equivalent qualifications
- Prior experiential learning, the outcome of which can be demonstrated to be equivalent to formal qualifications otherwise required
- Or a combination of formal qualifications and experiential learning which, taken together, can be demonstrated to be equivalent to formal qualifications otherwise required
- Personal statement
- Written assignment
International22920 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 22920 GBP per year and a duration of 15 months.
EU/EEA11220 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11220 GBP per year and a duration of 15 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.