This internationally-recognised MA Photojournalism and Documentary Photography (Online) course offered at the University of the Arts London (UAL) is aimed at people who want to pursue a career in photojournalism or documentary photography, or who are already active in these fields but wish to develop new skills and ideas.
Photojournalists and documentary photographers explore and record human experience. Beginning with figures like Henri Cartier-Bresson (regarded as the father of modern photojournalism), they have recorded significant moments in history, documented unfolding news and created images that have gained iconic status. Central to their work is the telling of a story through images.
What can you expect?
The aim is to equip you with a thorough grounding in the discipline, whether through film or digitally-based photography.
You’ll follow a rigorous programme of photographic assignments, as well as initiating and developing your own projects examining topics and issues of special interest to you. All this takes place within the framework of the history and development of the medium, together with critical ethical and theoretical contexts.
You’ll be encouraged to develop a wider vision of the practice and potential of the medium through an exploration of the uses of documentary and reportage photography in magazines, portfolios, exhibitions, books, television, online and other multimedia areas.
Graduates of this course have won numerous awards, including the World Press Photo (Daily Life, singles category) and the Taylor Wessing Portrait Prize.
MA Photojournalism and Documentary Photography is taught in both full-timeand part-time/online modes. This course is taught within the Media Schoolat LCC.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Photojournalism Practice
- History of Photojournalism and Documentary Photography
- Documentary Practice with Research Methods
- Collaborative Unit
- Major Project
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
The deadline has passed. However, this course will remain open until places have been filled. We recommend you submit your application as early as possible.
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media Journalism View 26 other Masters in Film, Photography & Media in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- The course team welcomes applicants from a broad range of backgrounds, from all over the world. MA Photojournalism and Documentary Photography attracts students who apply direct from an Honours degree course, or a professional or academic qualification recognised as equivalent to an Honours degree, or those with other, equivalent qualifications.
- Possession of equivalent qualifications
- Prior experiential learning, the outcome of which can be demonstrated to be equivalent to formal qualifications otherwise required
- Or a combination of formal qualifications and experiential learning which, taken together, can be demonstrated to be equivalent to formal qualifications otherwise required
- If your first language is not English, you can check you have achieved the correct IELTS level in English
- Personal statement
- Study proposal/project proposal
Relevant professional experience or work experience in the industry is increasingly important.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International9445 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9445 GBP per year during 24 months.
National4620 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4620 GBP per year during 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.