The Distance Learning MLitt in Terrorism and Political Violence - Distance Learning at the University of St Andrews is a part-time taught postgraduate programme run by the School of International Relations.
- Study in Terrorism and Political Violence examines selected approaches to knowledge generation around terrorism and counterterrorism and considers the development of new responses to terrorism and political violence.
- The programme utilises both e-learning technologies as well as traditional teaching methods.
The course is delivered via mixed mode teaching involving online tutorials alongside e-lectures.
Students will take four taught modules followed by a year-long research period culminating in the submission of a 15,000-word dissertation for the award of MLitt. Assessment comprises coursework including essays and projects.
Students who wish to exit the programme with a PGDip in Terrorism and Political Violence will not be required to undertake the dissertation element.
Students who graduate from the MLitt in Terrorism and Political Violence go on to work in various professional fields including law, policy research and consultancy, non-governmental organisations, charities, international organisations, civil service and publishing.
The Careers Centre offers one-to-one advice to all students on a taught postgraduate course and offers a programme of events to assist students in building their employability skills.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Distance Learning Electives
- Fundamental Issues and Structures of Terrorism
- Research Methods
- State Responses to Terrorism
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesInternational Law Terrorism & Security View 30 other Masters in Terrorism & Security in United Kingdom
- A good 2.1 Honours degree in political science, international relations, social sciences or other relevant discipline.
- CV or résumé. This should include your personal details with a history of your education and employment to date
- personal statement explaining how this programme will enhance your professional development (1,000 words)
- sample of previous academic written work or a piece on "Terrorism is a written term" (2,000 words)
- a note confirming you have access to a PC or laptop and an internet connection
- two original signed academic or professional references
- academic transcripts and degree certificates
- evidence of English language proficiency (required if English is not your first language).
International3850 GBP/moduleTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 3850 GBP per module and a duration of 36 months.
EU/EEA1900 GBP/moduleTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1900 GBP per module and a duration of 36 months.
- UK and EU: £3,820 MLitt dissertation module.
- Overseas: £7,690 MLitt dissertation module.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Getting a Student Visa
This is an online programme. You can attend from the comfort of your chair! So you don't need a student visa!
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.