We provide you with a framework for understanding conflict resolution in inter- and intra-state issues, focusing on topics including:
- Mediation, negotiation, and collaborative problem solving
- Using conflict data sets and drawing geographical maps
- International development and human rights
- International relations and security studies
- Global and comparative politics
You have the option of studying an extracurricular module on non-violent movements, offered in collaboration with Slobdan Djinovic and Srdja Popovic of the Centre for Nonviolent Action and Strategies in Belgrade. This exciting module, previously offered at many US universities including Colorado College, Harvard University and New York University, has never been offered anywhere else in Europe.
Our dynamic, interdisciplinary approach combines traditional methods with contemporary theory and practices of non-violent movements. We encourage you to experience the practical as well as the theoretical application of these topics through examining real case studies of international conflict.
All Essex politics graduates have the distinction of a qualification from one of the world’s leading politics departments.
The Conflict Resolution course offered by the University of Essex will prepare you for a career in areas such as non-governmental organisations, international and national government, or the private sector.
Recent graduates have gone on to work for the following high-profile organisations:
- The Civil Service
- Local government
- The World Bank
- The United Nations
- YouGov and YouGov America
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Conflict Resolution
- Political Explanation
- Theories of International Relations
- International Security Studies
- International Negotiation
- Colonialism, Cultural Diversity and Human Rights
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
We recommend that you apply as soon as you are able to.
DisciplinesInternational Relations Political Science Terrorism & Security View 151 other Masters in Terrorism & Security in United Kingdom
- A degree with an overall high 2.2 in Political Science, International Relations, American Studies, United states Politics, Business - ( finance related), Economics or Statistics.
- Applications from students with a 2:2 or equivalent will be considered dependent on any relevant professional or voluntary experience, previous modules studied and/or personal statement.
- We will accept applicants with a degree in an unrelated field but you must have studied at least two relevant modules with marks of at least 58% in the final two years of study
International18800 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18800 GBP per year during 12 months.
National8760 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8760 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Colchester
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.