The master's degree in Applied Linguistics and Language Acquisition in Multilingual Contexts (LAALCM) at University of Barcelona is closely linked to on-going developments in international research in the field of applied linguistics carried out by members of the teaching staff. Among other topics, this research focuses on the role of age, input, individual differences in second language acquisition, vocabulary acquisition, perception, second language production, bilingualism and multilingualism, content and language integrated learning, and specific methodological and technological aspects of applied linguistics research.
Students will learn to analyse these questions, develop a general understanding of the tools, techniques and methods required to answer them, and carry out their own research in a final project, in which they can apply the knowledge they have acquired.The principal objectives are for students to understand the main phenomena in language acquisition, to learn about the latest research questions and results in the field of applied linguistics, to learn to transfer research results to teaching practice, and to acquire the independence to propose and carry out a basic applied research project.
The general objectives of the master's degree are to train specialized researchers in the main phenomena of language acquisition and applied linguistics in general, who can transfer research results to teaching practice and carry out a basic applied research projects.
The training will enable students to deepen their knowledge of applied linguistics, particularly with regard to foreign language acquisition and advances in new technologies for language research and learning. Students will develop greater knowledge and skills in relation to the new linguistic scenarios in in schools and general society, and will carry out reflexive teaching practice.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
The syllabus is divided into the following modules:
- Applied Linguistics and Second Language Acquisition
- Research Methodology in Applied Linguistics and Second Language Acquisition
- Research Topics in Second Language Acquisition and the Teaching and Learning of Second Languages
- Final Project
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Bachelor's degree or pre-EHEA degree holders in linguistics or modern languages who would like to pursue a research career in applied linguistics and language acquisition
- A qualification from outside the framework of the European Higher Education Area. In this case, the qualification should be recognized as equivalent to an official Spanish degree
- Preference will be given to candidates with prior training in linguistics or psycholinguistics, although applications are welcome from any other candidate who meets the general requirements for access to university master's degree study
- Candidates must have English language skills at level C1 or higher or a TOEFL qualification with a total CBT score above 220
International3960 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 66 EUR per credit during 12 months.
EU/EEA2820 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 47 EUR per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Barcelona
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.