The study of humanities was thus part of the founding vision of the Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani. This enabling vision, represented by the lotus at the heart of the emblem of BITS Pilani, continues to guide the Institute in its plan document Vision 2020: Mission 2015 that envisages an ever greater emphasis for the humanities in the curriculum, making it mandatory for all degree programmes.
With twenty faculty members working in and across the disciplines of Communication Studies, Development Studies, Digital Media, Film Studies, Geography, History, Language, Literature, Philosophy, Politics, General Studies, Psychology and Public Administration, the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences offers over thirty elective courses -on an average, per semester- for students across disciplines and degree programmes. The laboratories for languages, music and Creative Media along with a rich collection of materials in the BITS Pilani Library are vital elements in the pedagogy of the courses taught here. Many of these are interdisciplinary, and all courses combine rigour with variety in both teaching and learning, which is a legacy bequeathed by a tradition of over five decades.
The study of humanities and languages in Pilani may be traced back to 1943, when the Birla Intermediate College became a Degree College. With the founding of the Birla Institute of Technology and Science as a degree awarding university in 1964, undergraduate and post-graduate programmes in the humanities were initiated. Since then, BITS Pilani has witnessed continuous moulting in the study of the humanities. The degree programmes of B.A (General) and M.A in Economics, English, Hindi, History, and Political Science were initiated in 1964 and continued until 1973-4, facilitating a reordering of the internal organizational structure with the formation of cluster groups in Economics, Humanistic Studies, and Languages. The Humanistic Studies group and the Languages group were transformed into independent departments, and remained so until 2012, when the two coalesced into the Department of Humanities and Languages. However, many research projects and taught courses offered by the Department contain elements from the Social Sciences. In recognition of this interdisciplinary character as well as to bring uniformity in nomenclature across the four campuses of the University, the Department was renamed as Department of Humanities and Social Sciences in October 2013.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Science, Technology and Modernity
- Introduction to Gender Studies
- Humanistic Theories of Science and Technology
- Modem Political Concepts
- Environment, Development & Climate Change
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesGeneral Studies & Classics
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Online Application procedure
- Copy of 10th class mark sheet / certificate for date of birth .
- Copy of the transcript and degree of Qualifying Examination,such as B.E /
- Tech or its equivalent. If the degree copy is not available, at the time of applying, fax /email this as soon as the same is available. If the transcript is not available, Mark sheets of all semesters / years of the qualifying degree should be submitted.
- Copy of the ID for U.A.E Nationals. For candidates with other nationalities, passport copy (first 3 pages and last page), and U.A.E visa page if holding U.A.E. residence visa. Candidates , who do not possess a valid passport at the time of applying, must enclose a declaration along with the Application, that they will fax the required Passport pages on or before the last date. word statement of purpose describing what you propose to achieve by doing this programme and your ultimate goal.
- Application Fee of 220 AED (60$)
International8438 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4219 USD per semester during 24 months.
National8438 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4219 USD per semester during 24 months.
- 15500 AED per semester
Living costs for Dubai
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.