Why to study
The objective of this East Asian Studies - Modern Sinology Masters degree programme at University of Göttingen is to combine language and cultural competence relating to China with methods and theories of cultural and social science, with the aim of critically questioning the latter, expanding them and putting them in their cultural context, in order to develop research skills and analytic competence for scientific and executive positions in politics, business and society. A methodical-disciplinary, comparative approach to Chinese studies and research is offered, which enables students to analyse the structures and processes of modern and contemporary China in a systematic, structured way and put them into relationship with comparable phenomena in other regions of the world. The students are to develop the ability to formulate research questions autonomously and answer them using Chinese-language texts as primary and secondary sources.
- Intensive, advanced training in spoken and written modern Mandarin Chinese
- Option of a semester abroad
- Major areas of study are the history, philosophy, religion, politics, society, economy and law of modern China
- Expansion of knowledge and analytic abilities in a discipline of humanities or social science
- Application of specialised scientific theories and models to the analysis of modern and contemporary China
- Preparation for professional careers in all areas requiring excellent linguistic and cultural skills with regard to modern China, to qualify students for intercultural communication as analysts, consultants and mediators
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- History and Philosophy of modern China
- Society and Economics of modern China
- Global History, focus on China
- Didactics of Chinese as a foreign language
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- B.A. degree or equivalent degree. You will also need 150 C from your BA degree (disregarding the grade) and sufficient knowledge of English, which needs to be demonstrated with different certificates.
- Evidence of credits in sinology to the extent of at least 120 C must be submitted, including credits totalling at least 24 C from at least two of the following areas: history, religion, politics, society, philosophy, linguistics, economy or law of modern China.
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
NationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
Semester contribution fee: 355 euro
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.