The Theatre Studies programme at the University of Waikato takes a practice-led approach to teaching and learning different aspects of theatre. We encouraging students to explore and develop their performance practice, while thinking through what theatre does and can do in the world.
The papers in the programme provide opportunities for the practical study of performance, although all are underpinned by relevant critical theory. The programme focusses on Theatre as an evolving, living, breathing practice, and places emphasis on the processes of performance, as well as public performances.
Practical tutorials, seminars and rehearsals take place the theatre laboratory space, and the Playhouse Theatre within the University's purpose-built Gallagher Academy of Performing Arts, which is also the venue for many of the public performances.
Careers for Theatre Studies graduates include employment within the creative community, such as community and professional theatres, local arts councils, schools, film production companies, and arts agencies such as Creative New Zealand and New Zealand On Air.
- Arts Administrator
- Stage Manager
- Theatre Technician
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The Master of Philosophy is a one year research-based degree in which students undertake a programme of approved and supervised research that leads to a thesis which critically investigates an approved topic of substance and significance, demonstrates expertise in the methods of research and scholarship, displays intellectual independence and makes a substantial original contribution to the subject area concerned, and is of publishable quality.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media Theatre & Dance View 9 other Masters in Theatre & Dance in New Zealand
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Birth certificate, passport and permits
- Evidence of citizenship
- Evidence of any change of name (if your name is different from that on your birth certificate)
- A written statement in support of your application, if applicable
- Evidence of any previous tertiary study
- Proof that you meet the academic entry requirements (Completed International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma with a minimum of 24 points)
- A recognised bachelors degree with a B/B+ average, and a B/B+ average in a relevant subject if required.
International20607 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20607 USD per year during 12 months.
National4550 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4550 USD per year during 12 months.
- Domestic: $6,332-$6,763 per year
- International: $28,675 - $37,710 per year
Living costs for Hamilton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.