In the School of Science, Physics is taught at a postgraduate level. By studying with us at the University of Waikato you will develop a thorough understanding of theoretical physics and gain advanced knowledge in areas such as quantum theory and biophysics.
Many famous scientists, such as Einstein and Newton were physicists. Physicists are versed in mathematics, computer programming, experimental science and the design of complex instruments. They are among the most versatile scientists, able to easily cross boundaries into other disciplines such as chemistry, biology, medicine, Earth and planetary sciences. There are biophysicists, geophysicists, astrophysicists and neurophysicists.
At the University of Waikato our academic staff are leading the way in biophysics. both experimental and theoretical, including measuring and modelling the electrical activity in the brain for applications such as anaesthesia and transcranial magnetic stimulation.
- Applications Engineer
- Avionics Engineer
- Electronics Engineer
- Medical Physicist
- Satellite Information Processor
- The Master of Philosophy is a one year research-based degree in which students undertake a programme of approved and supervised research that leads to a thesis which critically investigates an approved topic of substance and significance, demonstrates expertise in the methods of research and scholarship, displays intellectual independence and makes a substantial original contribution to the subject area concerned, and is of publishable quality.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesAerospace Engineering Physics View 19 other Masters in Physics in New Zealand
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Waikato and/or in New Zealand, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Birth certificate, passport and permits
- Evidence of citizenship
- Evidence of any change of name (if your name is different from that on your birth certificate)
- A written statement in support of your application, if applicable
- Evidence of any previous tertiary study
- Proof that you meet the academic entry requirements (Completed International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma with a minimum of 24 points)
- A recognised bachelors degree with a B/B+ average, and a B/B+ average in a relevant subject if required.
International20607 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20607 USD per year during 12 months.
National4550 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4550 USD per year during 12 months.
- Domestic: $6,332-$6,763 per year
- International: $28,675 - $37,710 per year
Living costs for Hamilton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.