You'll explore connections to previous generations, how they influence today, and if they were really all that different. History isn't just what happened before, but is also an investigation into, and use of, reliable research methods. We'll challenge you to ask questions, use critical enquiry into historical evidence and consider new ways of looking at the past in light of that new evidence.
When you study History at the University of Waikato, it isn't just for the classroom either. New Zealanders are keen to gain new perspectives on the "hidden history" of the pre-Waitangi Tribunal. People are also fascinated to learn their family's story and the circumstances that surround their ancestor's immigration to New Zealand.
Key themes of our research and teaching are Māori and Indigenous history, Pacific history, gender in history, research methods and theory, and US history. You'll gain a broad perspective of what goes into the correct historical analysis as well as analytical and critical thinking skills that employers value in other fields.
- Documentary Researcher
- Museum or Gallery Curator
- Political Speechwriter
- Tour Guide
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Private Lives in the Archives
- History and Theory
- United States Cultural History
- History Thesis
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
120 - 180
DisciplinesHistory Ancient History Modern History View 28 other Masters in History in New Zealand
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Birth certificate, passport and permits
- Evidence of citizenship
- Evidence of any change of name (if your name is different from that on your birth certificate)
- A written statement in support of your application, if applicable
- Evidence of any previous tertiary study
- Proof that you meet the academic entry requirements (Completed International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma with a minimum of 24 points)
- A recognised bachelors degree with a B/B+ average, and a B/B+ average in a relevant subject if required. Some faculties/schools require an honours degree (to demonstrate research capacity). Where the above requirements are not met, further study in a lower level programme may be required first.
International22814 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 22814 USD per year during 12 months.
National5560 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5560 USD per year during 12 months.
- Fees (Domestic): $7,705-$8,505 per year
- Fees (International): $31,615-$35,980 (120 pts) or $47,425-$53,970 (180 pts)
Living costs for Hamilton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.