Materials Science and Engineering course at The Chinese University of Hong Kong has a strong commitment to curiosity-driven research but also recognizes its responsibility in helping industry conduct market-driven research and development. More importantly, the department has established a reputation in taking teaching and supervising students very conscientiously.If you join the department as a new postgraduate student, you are expected to become an active member of the team. From the diverse research topics covered by the team, there must be one which matches your interest and career goals.
Students at Materials Science and Engineering course at The Chinese University of Hong Kong will:
- be building up their background knowledge
- learn from and argue with our staff and visitors on scientific matters.
- receive training in basic laboratory safety and teaching skills.
- present your research results in conferences overseas.
Fields of Specialization
- Synthesis, characterization and properties of semiconductor and metal nanostructures,
- Ceramic-metal composites,
- Undercooled metal liquids,
- Nanostructured metal composites,
- Biomorphic materials,
- Surface science,
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
Clearing Round: 31 March (Applications in Clearing Round will only be considered subject to availability of places.)
DisciplinesIndustrial & Systems Engineering Materials Science & Engineering General Engineering & Technology View 41 other Masters in General Engineering & Technology in Hong Kong (SAR)
- Applicants for the MPhil stream should hold, or expect to hold by the time of admission, a Bachelor's degree in Materials Science and Engineering or related disciplines, with a good major GPA (typically 3.2 out of 4.0 or above) OR a good honors degree (typically Second Class Upper Division or above).
- Interview will be arranged for shortlisted applicants by individual professors in due course.
- Completion of application form on Internet via CUHK's online application system.
- Recommendation form from two referees
- Copy of official transcripts
- Copy of certificate of academic qualifications
- Curriculum vitae;
- Personal/Research statement, indicating clearly the particular study field the applicant is interested in;
- Copy of TOEFL, IELTS or GMAT test paper report for preview purpose
- Copy of certificate of professional qualifications, prizes and awards (optional); and
- Bank draft/cheque (in HKD) or bank-in slip for the application fee
International5363 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5363 USD per year during 12 months.
National5363 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5363 USD per year during 12 months.
HK$42,100 per annum
Living costs for Hong Kong
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.