The Migration Studies course offered by the University of Essex combines insights of sociological theory with the methodological tools highly in demand by government, NGOs and supranational institutions. Drawing on the expertise of leading researchers, you build a strong theoretical understanding and address key issues surrounding migration. This course covers a wide range of topics, including:
- Citizenship and Human rights
- Immigration policy
- Social cohesion and integration
- Human trafficking
- Race, ethnicity and identity
You also gain a critical and coherent perspective on empirical research and examining the key assumptions and ideological underpinnings of qualitative and quantitative research.
A degree in Migration Studies with a sociological approach, especially one from a recognised centre of excellence like Essex, opens many doors.
This course provides excellent preparation for establishing a career in policy making, human rights organisations or to continue further academic study. Many of our postgraduates go on to successful academic careers, both in the UK and overseas.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Migration: Theory, Concepts and Selected Issues
- Sociological Research Design
- The Context of Integration: Origin, Destination and the Children of Immigrants
- Context of the Refugee Experience
- Citizenship, International Migration and Human Rights
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
We recommend that you apply as soon as you are able to.
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies History Sociology View 604 other Masters in History in United Kingdom
- A 2:2 degree, or international equivalent, in a social science or Humanities subject or, another discipline which must include at least two humanities or social science modules which can include the research project/dissertation).
- Applications from students with a degree below a 2:2 or equivalent or a non-social sciences degree will be considered dependent on any relevant professional or voluntary experience, previous modules studied and/or personal statement.
International18800 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18800 GBP per year during 12 months.
National8760 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8760 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Colchester
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.