Buddhist Studies course at The Chinese University of Hong Kong aims to equip students with a basic understanding of Buddhism in its historical, local and global contexts with special reference to the major traditions of Mahāyāna Buddhism in East Asia and enables students to obtain a broad knowledge of Buddhist Studies as a discipline and a more specialized knowledge in a particular sub-field of concentration.
Students at Buddhist Studies course at The Chinese University of Hong Kong will:
- enhance the capability of academic enquiry, including the ability to think logically and critically, the ability to interpret, analyse and articulate sophisticated arguments in Buddhist Studies.
- develop research skills in Buddhist Studies, including their competence in academic writing and presentation in order to prepare them for further academic research in Buddhist Studies.
- develop a reflective and empathetic attitude in understanding Buddhism.
- develop a positive life attitude so as to help the students foster a holistic outlook of life critically inspired by and informed with the Buddhist worldview.
- Graduation Paper
- Theory and Method in Buddhist Studies
- Theories of Religious Studies
- Studies on Chinese Buddhism
- Pure Land Buddhism
- Chan Buddhism
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesReligious Studies & Theology Christian Studies Islamic Studies View 5 other Masters in Islamic Studies in Hong Kong (SAR)
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Copies of transcripts (with grading scheme)
- Copies of degree certificates
- Copies of Online Verification Report of Higher Education Qualification Certificate issued by the CHESICC
- Documents showing the applicant has fulfilled the Graduate School’s English Language Proficiency Requirement
- Copies of identity card or passport
- Personal Statement (in Chinese)
International15039 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15039 USD per year during 12 months.
National15039 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15039 USD per year during 12 months.
- Full-time: HK$118,000 per annum
- Part-time: HK$59,000 per annum
Living costs for Hong Kong
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.