The conception of the Master of Arts in Educational Sciences from University of Basel enables the processing of demanding and complex questions in educational philosophy, educational theory and adult educational areas.
Studying the Masters of Arts in Educational Sciences at the Institute for Educational Sciences is intended to provide students with the necessary educational knowledge, methods and skills, taking into account the requirements and changes in educational occupational fields, in such a way that they are able to work independently, scientifically and in an educationally and socially responsible manner Research and training as well as are qualified in various management tasks in educational professions.
The Master of Arts in Educational Sciences is a four-semester course with 120 ECTS points. It is divided into a core area of 40 ECTS points and one of the specializations of 40 ECTS points each, as well as the master's thesis (30 ECTS points) and the master’s final examination (10 ECTS points).
When registering for the course, students choose one of the two specializations:
a) educational theory and research;
b) adult education.
Studies in the specialization area are usually started in the second semester after studying the core area.
The academic title "Master of Arts in Educational Sciences" is awarded by the University of Basel after successfully completing the course, specifying the chosen specialization.
Educational scientists deal with the educational activities of educating, helping / supervising, teaching / teaching and advising as well as with organizational, planning and conceptual activities. You work for public bodies, educational institutions and administrations, for non-profit or private commercial bodies or in private companies. The professional fields for educationalists are therefore diverse. The following are to be mentioned:
- internal and non-university educational research,
- the training and further education of teachers,
- pedagogical work in educational administrations (education and training directorates, school authorities, federal administration),
- special educational functions in schools,
- teaching in the field of educational science,
- institutional education management,
- school and extracurricular work with children and adolescents,
- educational, upbringing and learning advice,
- the work of the association as persons responsible for education,
- counseling, e.g. in child and youth welfare,
- commissioned and evaluation research in the education sector or media and public relations work by educational institutions,
- the work in cultural institutions, publishing houses, training providers.
- School pedagogy and general didactics
- Development and socialization processes
- Educational institutions in transition
- Research methods
- Educational philosophy
- Organization and institutions
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Adult Education Pedagogy
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Either one of the following bachelor degrees from a recognized Swiss university recognized by the Swiss Conference of Cantonal Education Directors: “Bachelor of Arts in Pre-Primary and Primary Education”, “Bachelor of Arts in Primary Education”, “Bachelor of Arts in Secondary Education”, “ Bachelor of Arts in Speech and Language Therapy ”,“ Bachelor of Arts in Psychomotor Therapy ”or
- Bachelor's degree from the University of Basel in one of the following subjects: ethnology, gender studies, social sciences, philosophy, sociology, history or in the psychology course or
- a bachelor's degree from a Swiss university with coursework of at least 60 credit points in one or more of the following fields of study: educational science, social and cultural anthropology / ethnology, philosophy, psychology, sociology, history as well as social work and social policy.
International1538 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 769 EUR per semester during 24 months.
National1538 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 769 EUR per semester during 24 months.
- CHF 850 per semester
Living costs for Basel
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.