As a philosophical and historical discipline, educational science works interpretatively, analytically, historically, systematically and normatively. As an empirical (educational) science, it is dedicated to the observation and analysis of pedagogical reality in various fields - sometimes in close contact with educational psychology, sociology, general didactics and subject didactics.
The study of the Master of Arts in Educational Sciences at the University of Basel at the Institute for Educational Sciences should provide students with the required educational knowledge, methods and skills, taking into account the requirements and changes in pedagogical professions, in such a way that they are responsible for an independent, scientifically reflected and pedagogically as well as socially responsible activity in Research and training as well as in different leadership tasks of educational professions are qualified.
The occupational and activity fields are manifold: the intra- and extra-curricular educational science and didactic research, the education and training of teachers, the educational work in educational administrations (educational and educational directorates and departments, school offices, federal administration), an activity in adult education organizations resp.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- historical perspective (eg the conditions of growing up in different epochs)
- ideological and real historical as well as empirical and systematic perspective (eg the contemporary meaning of the ancient or contemporary concept of education)
- development and socialization perspective (eg favorable or unfavorable interaction and communication styles in family, school and work)
- from a school-pedagogical and school practical perspective (eg possibilities of the democratic education and education in the school) and
- from a didactic perspective (eg new teaching-learning forms in mathematics and physics lessons).
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation View 3 other Masters in Education in Switzerland
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- The admission to the master’s degree program follows a motion presented by the examination commission of the faculty, in which it recommends to the rectorate to either allow or deny the admission.
- In the event that a bachelor’s degree only partially fulfills the requirements listed in the master’s study regulations, the admission can be issued contingent on the student taking certain classes in the bachelor degree program.
International1596 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 798 EUR per semester and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA1596 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 798 EUR per semester and a duration of 24 months.
- CHF 850 per semester
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.