This Language Sciences programme at Ca' Foscari University of Venice offers you an advanced command of one of a range of foreign languages, including Albanian, Arabic, Czech, English, French, German, Italian Sign Language (LIS, including tactile sign language), modern Greek, Polish, Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbo-Croatian and Spanish. Depending on the curriculum you choose, you focus on a different area of study by applying an in-depth comparative approach: themes and teaching tools for teaching Italian to foreigners and foreign languages to Italians; advanced research tools for the analysis of language disorders and linguistic acquisition in case of deafness and bilingualism; the formal analysis of language; new technologies for the study of languages and linguistics; and culture and literature in the different phases of their development and the historical diachronic evolution of your focal language.
The modules are taught in multiple languages, including your chosen language of specialisation and English. You can also strengthen your expertise in specific areas of language studies, such as the teaching of foreign languages and Italian as a foreign language, the psychology of development and learning applied to language, computer science and information processing systems in language processing, linguistic analysis of speech and deafness disorders, the most advanced linguistic theories and the study of competence and processing in typical and atypical situations (eye tracking).
Launching your career
As a graduate, you'll be prepared to launch a career in linguistic education, international cooperation and international institutions and public services related to cross-cultural communication. Some of the career opportunities open to graduates include:
- Linguist or philologist
- Language teacher
- Media researcher
- Consultant for multimedia publishing and communication
- Italian Sign Language expert
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
This programme's two-year study plan helps you develop an advanced linguistic and cultural understanding of your chosen language as well as the ability to interact with multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural research groups by pairing course work with a curricular internship and a final thesis.
- English Linguistics (double degree)
- Language Sciences (taught in English or in Italian)
Languages available for this programme:
- Albanian, Czech, French, English, Italian Sign Language (LIS), Modern Greek, Polish, Portuguese/Brazilian, Romanian, Russian, Serbo-Croatian, Spanish, German, Swedish.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
There are five admission rounds for admission in the fall of 2021, so earlier the round in which you apply, the sooner you'll find out if you have been accepted
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Linguistics View 5 other Masters in Linguistics in Italy
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
To be eligible for admission, you need to have completed 30 ECTS in the field of Language Sciences and 24 ECTS in the language on which you want to focus during the degree.
- The Language Sciences Curriculum taught in English requires a certified B2-level knowledge of English.
- The other paths and curricula require a certified B2-level knowledge of both Italian and English.
- For all curricula, a Teaching Committee must assess your CV to make sure you have adequate personal preparation.
- For the English Linguistics Curriculum, there is a separate admission procedure. For more information, please contact us!
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International2100 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2100 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA2061 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2061 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
To make education as affordable as possible to all, Ca' Foscari offers tuition fee reductions to students coming from non-OECD countries, with fees sometimes as low as 700 euro per year. Contact us for more information.
- In order to ensure that everyone effectively has access to higher education, Ca' Foscari offers students a variety of financial aid: scholarships, exemptions and reduction of fees, student loans, prizes for outstanding dissertations and other forms of concession.
- Some of the student loans involve agreements with banks allowing students to pay tuition fees on favourable terms. The most deserving students are entitled to an interest-free advance repayable a year after graduation.
- Students are also given the opportunity to participate in forms of student collaborations involving paid jobs within the university.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.