Students on the course come from a range of sectors; including education (formal and non-formal), voluntary and business. The curriculum allows students to apply the topics most relevant to their personal or employers interests and goals.
The Character Education programme from University of Birmingham will be run by The Jubilee Centre for Character and Virtues which is widely acknowledged as one of the foremost research and teaching centres in the world specialising in the examination of how character and virtues impact on individuals and society. You will be taught by some of the best known names, both in Britain and internationally, in character education.
The MA in Character is a part-time distance learning programme which offers both flexibility and an opportunity to debate key questions about the purpose of education with fellow students around the world.
The main features of the course include:
- It's multi-disciplinary – it will include learning from the fields of education, philosophy, (positive) psychology, sociology, social sciences and theology
- It's flexible – the learning is guided but you will work through it at their own pace
- It is suitable for professionals seeking to transform their organisation or career, or individuals looking for a foundation for further graduate study such as a PhD
- It utilises the latest technology to ensure an engaging and participatory online learning experience
- You will work within a supportive learning environment - all students have a dedicated personal tutor
- The assignments and dissertations can be directed towards personal and professional interests in the field
- There will be an opportunity to work alongside and learn from fellow students across the globe
- It is practice focused – the learning contributes to making a transformative difference
The MA in Character Education has been developed in response to the overwhelming interest in character education (and associated concerns such as wellbeing, social mobility, ethics) from policy makers and parents as well as teachers themselves. Completion of the programme will ensure that you will further your understanding of this area and will gain the knowledge and experience to implement informed change in your own organisation.
Profiles of students on the programme vary. Current students include head teachers who want to transform their school through character education, teachers who have taken character lead positions in their schools, recent graduates looking for further studies in education, individuals looking for foundational learning for a PhD, individuals running and working for charities and not for profit businesses and parents looking to further their theoretical and / or practical enhanced knowledge about character.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Theories of Character, Virtue and Flourishing
- Research Methods in Character Education
- History and Politics of Character Education
- Character Education Interventions in Schools and Organisations
- Character Education Leadership in Schools and Organisations
- The Virtuous Practitioner
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesEducation Philosophy & Ethics Educational Psychology View 38 other Masters in Philosophy & Ethics in United Kingdom
- Applicants must have a first degree at 2.1 level or equivalent and should have some relevant and related experience in the field of education
- Account will be given to equivalent professional qualifications and experience
International6150 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 6150 GBP per year and a duration of 36 months.
EU/EEA3083 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 3083 GBP per year and a duration of 36 months.
- A postgraduate loans system for Masters degrees in the UK provides up to £10,609 for taught and research Masters courses in all subject areas including part-time and distance learning
- International students can often gain funding through overseas research scholarships, Commonwealth scholarships or their home government
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Getting a Student Visa
This is an online programme. You can attend from the comfort of your chair! So you don't need a student visa!
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.