The Translation Studies (Distance Learning) programme offered by University of Birmingham is available to students who are proficient in English and another language including Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Greek, Italian, Polish, Portuguese and Spanish. Supervision in other languages may be possible, depending on available staff expertise.
Whether your interest is in the translation of specialised documentation (commercial and technical translation), creative writing (literary translation) or the translation of hybrid text genres such as websites or advertisements, the programme will provide you with a solid foundation to develop your career. Training in translation theory and research methods means this MA also offers excellent preparation for further study at PhD level.
Graduates of the MA in Translation Studies go on to a variety of interesting careers, from working as translators and project managers for major language service providers, to running their own translation companies, or staying on in Birmingham to do doctoral research.
The programme will enable you to develop a wide range of skills and attributes which will be vital in your future career. In particular, it will give you the ability to:
- Analyse and translate samples of English and other languages, using appropriate methods
- Retrieve information, terminology and specialised-knowledge from a range of sources, and use them in their translation practice
- Communicate effectively in written academic English
- Plan work effectively, with appropriate time-management skills
- Carry out research in a selected area, both individually and in terms, and report that research appropriately.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Introduction to Translation Studies
- Introduction to Translation Technology
- Contemporary Theories of Translation
- Research Methods in Translation Studies
- Professional Contexts of Translation
- 30 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Translation & Interpreting View 49 other Masters in Language Studies in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- The language into which you intend to translate should be the language in which you have mother tongue competence, or alternatively your language of habitual use. In the latter case, you may be asked to provide evidence of proficiency.
- It will normally be necessary to have training to degree level in the language(s) from which you intend to translate. If you do not hold a degree in your ‘second’ language, you may be asked to provide other evidence of proficiency. If you do not hold a languages or humanities-related degree, you may be asked to provide evidence of relevant work experience.
International1140 GBP/moduleTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1140 GBP per module and a duration of 30 months.
EU/EEA1140 GBP/moduleTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1140 GBP per module and a duration of 30 months.
- Scholarships to cover fees and/or maintenance costs may be available
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Getting a Student Visa
This is an online programme. You can attend from the comfort of your chair! So you don't need a student visa!
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.