On completion of the Master of Science in Geology at University of Iceland the student should have fulfilled the following criteria in addition to those fulfilled at the previous level:
- The student has broadened and deepened his/her knowledge of a selected subject area within geology and has acquired systematic understanding of the most recent knowledge within that area and the research methods used.
- The student has acquired deeper knowledge of the application of geology in his/her area of expertise.
- The student is able to use his/her knowledge and understanding in a professional manner within his/her field of expertise.
- The student has acquired the ability to reason and substantiate his/her opinions about his/her research work and its relevance to basic knowledge in the field of study.
- The student has acquired the ability to provide a written review of research relevant to his/her field of study.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Effusive volcanism and lava flows
- Volcanic successions in Iceland
- Earth's surface geochemistry
- Geothermal Energy
- Ground Water Hydrology
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
Nordic citizens are exempt and may apply for graduate studies until 15 April.
- BS degree in geology or similar subjects with minimum average grade of 6.5 from the University of Iceland (on a scale from 1 to 10) or a comparable degree and average grade from another university. In addition to the BS degree there may be some preliminary courses requirements before starting the actual MS programme.
- All international applicants, whose native language is not English, are required to provide results of the TOEFL (79) or IELTS (6.5) tests as evidence of English proficiency.
- Applicants are asked to submit a letter of motivation,
- Letters of recommendation (2) should be submitted.
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
Students at the University of Iceland do not pay tuition fees, only an annual registration fee of ISK 75,000 (477 EUR)
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.