We are all creatures of the universe: every atom in our bodies has passed through three stars – we are literally star dust. We offer a master degree in Cultural Astronomy and Astrology at The University of Wales Trinity Saint David.
For thousands of years human beings have speculated about their physical, emotional and psychic connections with the sky, stars and planets, and the results manifest across beliefs and behaviour, from spirituality and the sacred to creativity and the arts, and from politics to architecture.
Cultural Astronomy is the study of the application of beliefs about the stars to all aspects of human culture. It includes the new discipline of archaeoastronomy: the study of astronomical alignments, orientation and symbolism in ancient and modern architecture. Astrology also exists in some form in most cultures. In the MA we examine the relationship between astrological, astronomical and cosmological beliefs and practices, and society, politics, religion and the arts, past and present.
The topics we study range across time and culture. If you study with us you will examine:
- The cultural consequences and expressions of astronomy, astrology and cosmology
- Collect data on what people believe about the stars right now
- Explore the history of astrology
- Examine the use of the sky, stars and planets in religion
- Investigate ideas about the relationship between soul, psyche and psychology and the cosmos
- Research ancient practices of magic and divination
- Keep a journal of your own sky observations
- Look at how the sky and stars are represented in the arts, literature and film
- Learn how to measure and interpret celestial alignments at archaeological sites
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Foundations in Cultural Astronomy and Astrology
- Researching Contemporary Cosmologies
- History of Astrology
- Sky and Psyche
- Sacred Geography
- Cosmology, Magic and Divination
- 24 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesAstronomy & Space Sciences View 6 other Masters in Astronomy & Space Sciences in United Kingdom
- Applicants are expected to have a good first degree (a first or upper second), although candidates with lower degree classifications may be admitted at Postgraduate Certificate or Diploma level, with an opportunity to upgrade to Master's level if satisfactory progress is made.
- Every application is considered on its own merit, so places may be offered on the basis of non-standard entry qualifications and criteria, including maturity, professional qualifications and relevant experience. Applicants with non-standard qualifications are advised to submit a short curriculum vitae with their application form.
- We also welcome applications from members of the Armed Forces and recognise the training and education undertaken whilst serving.
International13340 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 13340 GBP per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA7500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 7500 GBP per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.