The Ancient History (MRes) at The University of Wales Trinity Saint David begins with a specialist Research Methodology module introducing students to the multiple sources, materials, theories and methodologies for the study of ancient Greek and Roman civilisations.
Students then have the opportunity to choose two modules according to their own interests in the ancient world, with the option to specialise in a particular aspect of ancient history, whether in chronological terms, such as Greek or Roman history, or in terms of themes, such as the ancient economy.
The choice of taught modules gives students not only the opportunity to explore areas that they might not have had the opportunity to study before, but also to specialise in a specific aspect of the ancient world in preparation for the MRes dissertation.
- The programme provides a broad foundation for postgraduate work, by laying particular stress on the methodologies and research tools needed for independent advanced study, thus acting as training for students who intend to undertake an MPhil or PhD.
- The course also provides a professional qualification for teachers or others seeking Continuing Professional Development.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
The main general areas of research supervision in the School are:
- Greek and Roman epic
- Latin poetry of the late Republican and Imperial periods
- Literary uses of mythology
- Greek and Roman Africa
- Hellenistic Asia Minor and the Near East
- Identity, ethnicity and ethnogenesis in the Roman empire
- Roman religion
- Ancient Economy, particularly of the Greek Classical period and of the Roman empire
- Greek and Roman historiography
- Sex and Gender in the ancient world
- Health and healing in the ancient world
- Graeco-Roman relations with India
- 24 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesHistory Ancient History View 534 other Masters in History in United Kingdom
- Applicants are expected to have a good first degree (a first or upper second), although candidates with lower degree classifications may be admitted at Postgraduate Certificate or Diploma level, with an opportunity to upgrade to Master's level if satisfactory progress is made.
- Every application is considered on its own merit, so places may be offered on the basis of non-standard entry qualifications and criteria, including maturity, professional qualifications and relevant experience. Applicants with non-standard qualifications are advised to submit a short curriculum vitae with their application form.
- We also welcome applications from members of the Armed Forces and recognise the training and education undertaken whilst serving.
International13340 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 13340 GBP per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA7500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 7500 GBP per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.