You will get new insights into the nature of ancient religions across the globe, from the Mediterranean world to ancient China The programme is very flexible to suit your research interests.
The Ancient Religions (MA) programme at The University of Wales Trinity Saint David offers students whose interests centre on this field the opportunity to take a specialist higher degree tailored to investigating the Celtic, Christian, Egyptian, Jewish, Greek, Minoan/Mycenaean and Roman religions.
The programme enables students to gain a clearer understanding of the interrelations of religion and society in a cross-cultural perspective and so better enables them to understand multi-religious worlds. Moreover, students will gain a wider understanding of the cultural economic and social forces underpinning the ancient world and these ancient ideas and practices in particular.
- The programme provides a broad foundation for postgraduate work by laying particular emphasis on the methodologies and research tools needed for independent advanced study, thus acting as training for students who intend to undertake an MPhil or PhD.
- The course also provides a professional qualification for teachers or others seeking Continuing Professional Development. In addition, the programme will be attractive to students who wish to study out of personal interest.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureThe MA Ancient Religions offers further modules, of which students are required to make a selection of four. For example:
- Ancient Egyptian Religious Beliefs
- Celtic Otherworlds: From the Druids to the Monastic Voyage Tale
- Religions in China, 1500 BCE - 500 CE
- The Female Saints of Wales
- Religious Life in the Roman Empire
- Ritual and Religions
- Skyscapes, Cosmology and Archaeology
- Self and Suffering: Ascetis Life in Christian History
- The Bible: Text and Transmission
- Cosmology, Magic and Divination
- 24 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesReligious Studies & Theology Ancient History View 135 other Masters in Ancient History in United Kingdom
- Applicants are expected to have a good first degree (a first or upper second), although candidates with lower degree classifications may be admitted at Postgraduate Certificate or Diploma level, with an opportunity to upgrade to Master's level if satisfactory progress is made.
- Every application is considered on its own merit, so places may be offered on the basis of non-standard entry qualifications and criteria, including maturity, professional qualifications and relevant experience. Applicants with non-standard qualifications are advised to submit a short curriculum vitae with their application form.
- We also welcome applications from members of the Armed Forces and recognise the training and education undertaken whilst serving.
International13340 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 13340 GBP per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA7500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 7500 GBP per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.