The Applied Linguistics and English Language Teaching programme offered at the University of Nottingham builds on the international reputation of the School of English at Nottingham as one of the foremost centres for English Language research in the world. The school's Applied Linguistics and English Language Teaching programme provides a broad course of study in language and linguistics. You will work with several world figures while discovering your own position in applied linguistics.
The principle of language study established at the University of Nottingham combines theoretical and ideological dimensions with practical applications; particularly English Language Teaching (ELT). This course explores ELT from multiple perspectives, including Second Language Acquisition, motivation and individual learner differences, psycholinguistics, discourse analysis, and corpus linguistics.
- Masters students attend research events and are actively engaged in the research community of the Centre for Research in Applied Linguistics (CRAL). This MA is among the most popular postgraduate courses of its kind in the UK
- The programme offers an excellent route towards pursuing a PhD
- The Applied Linguistics and English Language Teaching MA is also available as a web-based distance learning course
Careers and professional development
Postgraduate students move into an extraordinarily wide range of careers following their time in the school.
Conducting postgraduate work in the School of English fosters many vital skills and may give you a head start in the job market. Studying at this level allows you to develop qualities of self-discipline and self-motivation that are essential to employment in a wide range of different fields.We will help you develop your ability to research and process a large amount of information quickly, and to present the results of your research in an articulate and effective way. A postgraduate degree from the School of English at the University of Nottingham shows potential employers that you are an intelligent, hard-working individual who is bright and flexible enough to undertake any form of specific career training.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Advanced Research Methods in Applied Linguistics: Quantitative and Qualitative Methods
- Second Language Acquisition
- Language Teaching - Speaking and Listening
- Group Dynamics and Motivation in the Language Classroom
- English Vocabulary: Teaching and Learning
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, International
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Linguistics View 471 other Masters in Languages in United Kingdom
- 2.1 (Upper 2nd class honours undergraduate degree or international equivalent) in English language/literature or a related arts or humanities subject
International19170 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 19170 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA8010 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8010 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.