In this Contemporary Societies (COS) from University of Helsinki , you choose from five major subjects: sociology, social and public policy, social psychology, social and cultural anthropology or development studies. You also study themes like ethnic relations and migration, mind and society, socio-cultural shifts and sources of inequalities.
If you want to become an expert in the analysis of contemporary societies, choose the multidisciplinary, research-based Master's Programme in Contemporary Societies (COS). It focuses on the key themes in the dynamics of contemporary societies both in a European and a global context.
You can choose from five major subjects: sociology, social and public policy, social psychology, social and cultural anthropology or development studies. Depending on your study track, you study one or several of the following themes: Ethnic Relations and Migration, Mind and Society, Socio-Cultural Shifts and Sources of Inequalities.
In the Master's Programme in Contemporary Societies (COS), you will:
- focus on the key themes in the dynamics of contemporary societies both in a European and a global context
- become an expert in the analysis of contemporary societies
- acquire expertise and skills relevant for working life and qualifications
- build your individual portfolio according to your interests and career plans
- get support for both international mobility and work experience
- study disciplines that are ranked among the best 100 subjects in the QS World University Ranking by Subject
- be taught by staff who are research leaders in their fields and have longstanding experience of teaching multicultural student groups
As a graduate, you will be qualified to work in both the public and private sectors, in governmental administration or in various types of organisations. You will also have excellent qualifications to continue with an academic career and PhD studies.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Development Studies
- Social and Cultural Anthropology
- Social Psychology
- Social and Public Policy
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
The application period is 1.12. - 4.1.
DisciplinesSocial Work Anthropology Sociology View 4 other Masters in Social Work in Finland
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- You have completed or will complete by 31 August a first-cycle degree (e.g., bachelor’s degree) or second-cycle degree (e.g., master’s degree) or a postgraduate degree in Finland or abroad.
- You have completed or will complete applicable studies required for the master’s programme by 15 January.
- You have sufficient proficiency in English.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International13000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13000 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Helsinki
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.