Mining systems are very complex, being natural, social, environmental and technological hybrids. They also are physically and economically huge, having very relevant environmental, social and political impact. Thus, the understanding of present and future mining needs:
- the proficiency in technological and scientific common engineering tools;
- a deep understanding of the geological domain and processes, from the mineral micro scale to planetary scope;
- knowledge of mining technologies, in the broadest sense of prospection, extraction, processing, environmental integration, trading and closure;
- the ability to read the systemic mine .
This broad supporting knowledge is needed in order to deal with mining technology and its complex primary material.
The Mining and Geo-Environmental Engineering present study cycle at the University of Porto aims at concluding the academic training of a mining expert who knows, understands, operates and designs in all these dimensions.
It grounds upon an adequate knowledge of earth and basic sciences, common and mining engineering technologies, provided by a prior graduate study cycle. It adds the conceptual tools for a systemic grasp of mining, construing integrating views of the mining production cycle.
- Soil Mechanics
- Mining and Underground Works
- Process diagrams
- Mining Environmental Impact
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesEnvironmental Engineering Mining, Oil & Gas View 7 other Masters in Mining, Oil & Gas in Portugal
- UP Application Form (includes the initial learning agreement/study plan proposal) filled out in English, duly signed by the student and signed/stamped by the Home Institution;
- Transcript of Records (it’s an official certificate from the Home University, in English, with the courses and respective grades obtained by the student up to the moment of the application);
- Copy of legal personal ID card or Passport with photo
- European Health Insurance Card and/or Private Health Insurance
- Other documents (optional): CV, Motivation/ Recommendation Letters.
International3000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 3000 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA1250 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1250 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.