The main objective of the Mining and Geo-Environmental Engineering programme of the University of Porto is to train senior managers in mining engineering who are professionally competent and qualified to understand, conceptualise, design and implement optimised technical solutions in the areas of prospecting, exploitation and managing of natural resources, as well as in the area of geo-environmentalism, adopting a perspective of preservation, recovery and environmental sustainability—fundamental pillars of cohesion and social well-being.
This master’s programme in Mining Engineering and Geo-Environment is recognised by accreditation agencies (EURACE and A3ES) to provide complete professional training.
Skills, abilities, and aptitudes acquired upon completion of the MEMG:
- The ability to know, understand, conceptualise and operate in all dimensions of mining knowledge and technologies —prospecting/site investigation, exploitation/extraction, handling/processing, environmental integration—in a technically and scientifically sound manner, taking a holistic perspective of each project.
- Personal skills and the ability to understand and solve problems within complex and multidisciplinary contexts, namely, mining engineering.
- The ability to provide well-founded and quality judgements/opinions on technical, social, and ethical matters.
- The aptitude to work both autonomously and in multidisciplinary teams.
- The capacity to remain up to date throughout one’s professional working life.
- The ability to understand, adapt and integrate into any industry at the production process level.
Graduates of the Master in Mining Engineering and Geo-Environment at FEUP are prepared to take on a wide range of career opportunities in industrial, research, and technical-commercial activities, among others.
Some of the main career opportunities pursued by graduates of the Master in Mining and Geo-Environmental Engineering at FEUP are found in:
- Industrial plants for the exploitation and/or transformation of natural resources, such as mines that are metallic and non-metallic, open-pit and underground, and quarries for industrial and ornamental rocks.
- Mineral-industrial, natural mineral and spring water exploitation.
- Consultancy and research firms/offices in the areas of geology, geophysical prospecting, and rock recognition.
- Underground and open-pit excavation projects associated with construction and public works, such as wells, tunnels, galleries, and other underground storage infrastructures.
- State institutions for the management and supervision of public works, extraction activities and the transformation of resources.
- Consulting companies in mining engineering, geo-environment, and geotechnics.
- Research, supervision, and development in private or public laboratories, such as those for quality control to support the extraction and construction industry.
- Municipal services in the areas of the environment, regional planning support and environmental rehabilitation and rehabilitation.
- Companies providing services to the extraction industry and in environmental management.
- Research, education, and vocational training.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Soil Mechanics
- Tunneling and Underground Mining
- Process Flowsheets
- Mining Environmental Impact
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEnvironmental Engineering Geology Mining, Oil & Gas View 6 other Masters in Mining, Oil & Gas in Portugal
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
The Master in Mining and Geo-Environmental Engineering is specially designed for students with a vocation and interest in the areas of engineering and, in particular, earth sciences, geo-resources and the geo-environment.Applications are open to holders of appropriate academic training in engineering, such as:
- Graduates of the FEUP Bachelor in Mining and Geo-Environmental Engineering - MEMG.
- Graduates of a bachelor's programme in engineering or the legal equivalent, or a first degree in engineering or earth sciences organised in accordance with the Bologna process, the suitability of which will be assessed by the MEMG Scientific Committee.
- Those who possess an academic, scientific, and professional curriculum that the Scientific Committee recognises as appropriate for carrying out this programme.
International6000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6000 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA697 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 697 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Porto
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.