The Master Programme in the Humanities - Cultural Anthropology taught at Uppsala University offers you an opportunity to study cultural and social anthropology in an international learning environment where approximately one half of the students are from outside of Sweden. The diversity of student backgrounds contributes to a rich educational experience and gives you a global professional network that will be very useful in your future career. Our teaching is grounded in ethnographic research and inspired by the teachers' own field research experiences and insights.
This programme provides you with professional, analytical capacities in areas such as international development and humanitarian assistance, migration, multiculturalism, journalism and media, tourism, museums and exhibitions. It also gives you a solid basis for pursuing a research career in anthropology and other related subjects.
- Cultural Anthropology and Ethnology
- Advanced Study of Anthropological Theory
- Political Ecology
- Contemporary Issues in Medical Anthropology
- Anthropology in Practice
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Anthropology Tourism & Leisure View 12 other Masters in Tourism & Leisure in Sweden
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A Bachelor's degree, equivalent to a Swedish Kandidatexamen, from an internationally recognised university. The main field of study must be within the humanities or social sciences. Also required is 60 credits in anthropology.
- All applicants need to verify English language proficiency that corresponds to English studies at upper secondary (high school) level in Sweden ("English 6").
- Students are selected based on: a total appraisal of quantity and quality of previous university studies; the quality of the Bachelor's thesis/degree project; and a statement of purpose outlining their anthropological proficiency (1-2 pages).
International9526 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19053 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
- Tuition fee, first semester: SEK 50,000
- Tuition fee, total: SEK 200,000
Living costs for Uppsala
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.