In this English Literature programme at University of Glasgow, a core research training course will introduce you to key skills in postgraduate study, while a flexible degree structure allows you to select from the full range of optional courses on offer from the School of Critical Studies.
You can also choose courses from elsewhere in the College of Arts or from other Schools and Colleges across the University.
Why This Programme
- The structure of the degree allows you to follow either a bespoke English Literature MLitt programme, constructing your own pathway through a range of different courses, or one of several specialist pathways to suit your interests (see below).
- You will have access to world class libraries and museums, as well as the extraordinary diversity of cultural, literary and artistic events that makes Glasgow such a vibrant place for postgraduate study.
- The core research skills programme includes tailored workshops with the University’s archives and world-class Special Collections, as well as providing the academic and technical skills you will need to succeed at postgraduate level in the university and other professional environments.
The MLitt in English Literature provides excellent preparation for PhD study and an academic career. The programme develops key skills sought by many employers, including:
- the ability to find, select and manage large quantities of information
- confident and persuasive oral and written communication
- problem solving through creative and critical thinking.
Graduates have gone on to pursue successful careers in writing, editing, publishing, teaching, the media, heritage and creative industries.
More informationVisit official programme website
- English Literature
- English Literature: Fantasy
- English Literature: Medieval and Early Modern Literature and Culture
- English Literature: Modernities: Literature, Culture, Theory
- English Literature: Romantic Worlds
- English Literature: Victorian Literature
- English Literature: American Modern Literature
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Language Studies Literature View 475 other Masters in Language Studies in United Kingdom
- Entry requirements for postgraduate taught programmes are a 2.1 Honours degree or equivalent qualification (for example, GPA 3.0 or above) in a relevant subject unless otherwise specified.
- a sample of written work, about 3,000 words in length. This can be a previous piece of work from an undergraduate degree. The work should be written in English and the content does not have to cover a topic related to this specific programme
- a short statement of around 500 words outlining your interest in this programme
- one academic reference
International18370 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 18370 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA8500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8500 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
Home/EU Part-time fee: £944 per 20 credits
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.