A core research training course will introduce you to key skills in postgraduate study, while a flexible degree structure allows you to select from the full range of optional courses on offer from the School of Critical Studies. You can also choose courses from elsewhere in the University. The English Literature programme at the University of Glasgow ends with an opportunity to write a dissertation on an English Literature-related topic of your choice.
Why this programme
- The structure of the degree allows you to follow either a bespoke English Literature MLitt programme, constructing your own pathway through a range of different courses, or one of several specialist pathways to suit your interests (see below).
- You will have access to world class libraries and museums, as well as the extraordinary diversity of cultural, literary and artistic events that makes Glasgow such a vibrant place for postgraduate study.
- The core research skills programme includes tailored workshops with the University’s archives and world-class Special Collections, as well as providing the academic and technical skills you will need to succeed at postgraduate level in the university and other professional environments.
Our MLitt in English Literature provides excellent preparation for PhD study and an academic career. The programme develops key skills sought by many employers, including:
- the ability to find, select and manage large quantities of information
- confident and persuasive oral and written communication
- problem solving through creative and critical thinking.
Graduates have gone on to pursue successful careers in writing, editing, publishing, teaching, the media, heritage and creative industries.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- English Literature
- English Literature: Fantasy
- English Literature: Medieval and Early Modern Literature and Culture
- English Literature: Modernities: Literature, Culture, Theory
- English Literature: Romantic Worlds
- English Literature: Victorian Literature
- English Literature: American Modern Literature
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Language Studies Literature View 573 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United Kingdom
- Entry requirements for postgraduate taught programmes are a 2.1 Honours degree or equivalent qualification (for example, GPA 3.0 or above) in a relevant subject unless otherwise specified
- A sample of written work, about 3,000 words in length. This can be a previous piece of work from an undergraduate degree. The work should be written in English. The content does not have to cover a topic related to this specific programme, but the sample should show the potential to engage successfully with postgraduate-level literary studies through demonstrating analytical ability and knowledge of appropriate scholarly methods and conventions.
- A short statement of around 500 words outlining your interest in this programme.
- One academic reference.
International19350 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19350 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9000 GBP per year during 12 months.
- UK Part-time fee: £1,000 per 20 credits
Living costs for Glasgow
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.