The courses in the Gerontological Sciences programme from Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB) can be divided into two themes: gerontology and research methodology. The former focuses on the biological, biomedical, psychological and social aspects of gerontology, making you an expert in the field. The latter offers you skills to do research in the field of gerontology.
The foundations will be discussed in a package of course units that provides a thorough Bio-Psycho-social concept of Gerontological Sciences. Students will identify a topic at the end of the first semester of the first year, on which substantive work will continue under the supervision of a promoter through the master curriculum.
Although this might implicate a certain degree of ‘specialisation’ in a certain domain of the Gerontological Sciences, most – if not all – research projects in which the students will be involved have a typical interdisciplinary character. Given the nature of this programme and the intensive coaching, daily presence on campus is required.
During the Research Master of Gerontological Sciences, the students will write two articles (one review article in the first year and one original research article in the second year) and submit them for publication in an international peer-reviewed journal. In addition, they will have to deliver a research proposal for a doctoral fellowship at the end of the first semester of the second year, which may be submitted in one of the known channels (FWO doctoral fellowship, SBO doctoral grant ...).
The future is yours
PhD holders in Gerontology can be engaged in the various universities as a postdoc fellow or a senior academic staff. The university is obviously not the only place where research is conducted. In addition, PhD holders in Gerontology can be engaged in policy functions and doctorate holders are desired in services from the welfare and health care that focus on innovation, quality, development and implementation of clinical pathways and guidelines and / or research.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Master Classes Statistics (Quantitative & Qualitative)
- Writing a Research Application Part
- Organisational and Intercultural Aspects of Ageing
- Biological and Biomedical Fundaments of Ageing
- Psychological Fundaments of Ageing
- Social Fundaments of Ageing
- Ethics Related to Ageing
- Systematic Literature Review Part
- Clinimetrics and Comprehensive Gerontological Assessment
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPsychology Sociology Biology View 19 other Masters in Biology in Belgium
The Research Master of Gerontological Sciences is aimed at students with an academic Bachelor or Master degree:
- Bachelor of Political Sciences and Sociology specialization Sociology Minor Management, Care and Policy in Gerontology (VUB);
- Bachelor in a field relevant to Gerontology (Social Sciences, Biomedical Sciences, Psychology, Physical Education and Kinesiology, Rehabilitation Sciences and Physiotherapy, …);
- Preparatory Programme in Management, Care and Policy in Gerontology (VUB)
International3243 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 3243 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA939 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 939 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.