In this Marine and Lacustrine Science and Management programme at Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB) , students are provided with strong fundamental and applied knowledge and are prepared for an active role in the scientific research and management of marine and lacustrine systems.
In this joint programme on aquatic systems, three universities in Flanders (Belgium) - the Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Universiteit Antwerpen and Universiteit Gent combine their expertise. Many other experts and institutions are also involved in on this programme, adding even more knowhow.
A few months abroad?
The departments at all three universities have a whole host of research projects and collaborations from which you can benefit. That means you might spend a few months abroad in the framework of your Master's thesis. You can also include a semester in another (European) country in your study programme or do an internship abroad.
All degree programmes offered by VUB are accredited by the Dutch-Flemish Accreditation Organisation (NVAO), ensuring that they meet the highest predefined quality standards. Alongside this official quality control system, VUB has an internal Quality Control Commission in charge of permanently monitoring the quality of education.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses Included:
- Estuarine and Coastal Systems
- Law and Ethics on Conservation of Aquatic Systems
- In-situ and Remote Sensing Tools in Aquatic Sciences
- Environmental Modelling
- Integrated Marine Coastal Ecology Field Course
- River & Lake Ecology
- Seminars: Case Studies on Biodiversity Management
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesHydrology & Water Management Environmental Management Aquaculture & Fisheries
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Direct admission to the programme is granted to holders of a Bachelor in Biology, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Chemistry, Geology, Geography, Geomatics, Bioengineering Sciences, Environmental Sciences.
- For other Bachelors in science, applied science and life sciences, admission will be evaluated by the Oceans and Lakes Steering Committee based on academic records and skills.
- Applicants must have a Bachelor's degree of minimum 3 years with good overall scores (at least upper second class or equivalent) from a university or recognised equivalent.
English Language Requirements:
- TOEFL iBT with minimum level: 79;
- IELTS with minimum level: academic module 6.5;
- ITACE with minimum level: B2;
- Cambridge English Qualification Scale with the following minimal level: 170
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International245 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 245 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA245 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 245 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
The Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB) participates in many scholarship programmes offering grants to all levels of study (from Bachelor, Master, tp PhD), in various regions, both for short and longer stays.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.