Are you interested in one of our English-taught programmes and want to know more about studying in Brussels at VUB? VUB organises online info sessions per programme. On different moments so that it hopefully fits your agenda.
The Chemical and Materials Engineering at Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB) encompasses two distinct profiles: Process Technology and Materials. In the Process Technology profile, the student is trained to operate in production units, consultant engineering firms and the environmental sector.
The Materials profile covers production and development facilities for different types of materials. The master’s programme has a common core of 56 ECTS, ensuring a strong mutual interaction and integration between both profiles.
The development of environmentally friendly and safe production processes for materials, the shaping and processing of materials into intermediate or finished products, and the optimal integration of materials in other disciplines are strongly related to the optimisation of environmenally friendly chemical processes in general.
Learning outcomes describe the intended knowledge and understanding, skills and attitudes that you must master after completing your studies. Do you want to know more about the specific learning outcomes of this programme?
The Process Technology profile prepares you to become an engineer who can be employed in, for example, production units (operation and optimisation of production facilities). Alternatively, you could work in an engineering group, where you’d develop new production processes that meet performance specifications. The profile mainly focuses on the chemical industry, but also looks at biotechnology and the food industry. You’ll be trained to identify, solve and avoid environmental problems.
A master degree opens doors in many different branches and sectors. You will be able to work in the private sector, (non-) governmental organisations, or continue your academic career as a PhD researcher. Not sure what your next step should be? The VUB helps you with your first steps on the job market.
All degree programmes offered by VUB are accredited by the Dutch-Flemish Accreditation Organisation (NVAO), ensuring that they meet the highest predefined quality standards. Alongside this official quality control system, VUB has an internal Quality Control Commission in charge of permanently monitoring the quality of education.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Molecular structural characterization and analysis
- Parameter Estimation and Modelling
- Microstructural design and characterization of inorganic materials
- Surface treatment: Processing and Analysis
- Organic Chemistry: Reactions and Mechanisms
- Polymer Materials
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesEnvironmental Engineering Chemical Engineering Materials Science & Engineering View 5 other Masters in Environmental Engineering in Belgium
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- I have or will soon have a Bachelor's degree in Engineering Sciences of at least three years, or consisting of at least 180 ECTS credits or equivalent (such as 130 US credits or semester contact hours)
- I have an overall degree above average, which in the US grading means level B or a GPA of minimum 3 out of 4. For conversion to the US grading system please consult this page.
- I have obtained a minimum of 20 ECTS credits or equivalent in athematics courses, and 15 ECTS or equivalent in other fundamental science courses such as chemistry, physics and mechanics.
- I have obtained a score above average for the mathematics courses, which means a score of minimum 3 out of 4, 14 out of 20 or equivalent B level .
- I am or will be able to prove my knowledge of the English language.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International2500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2500 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA835 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 835 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Brussels
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.