As such, the curriculum is designed in a way that meets standards for local and international recognition. Apart from aiming to equip students with the professional knowledge base, clinical and research skills, and attitudes required to function effectively as an entry-level speech therapist, graduates should be sensitive to individual, linguistic and cultural differences, function as skilled counsellors (within their professional boundaries), and have a holistic approach to client management. The programme also aims to develop attributes of all-roundness.
This programme plans to use a hybrid approach in which traditional lectures are used for foundational courses taught in the first year of the programme and Problem Based Learning approach is used in the second year to enhance integration of learning across courses and across theory and practice.
A vital part of the training for Speech Therapists involves supervised clinical practice. A Speech Therapy Unit has already been established on PolyU campus and it creates a platform serving both in-house teaching and research purposes through a service interface.
- Introduction to Communication Disorders and Audiology
- Introduction to Speech Therapy and Audiology
- Paediatric Communication Disorders: Assessment and Treatment
- Adult Communication Disorders: Assessment and Treatment
- Other Communication Disorders and Swallowing Disorders: Assessment and Treatment II
- 30 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
Initial Registration Credits
- 3 for local students
- 6 for non-local students
DisciplinesPhysiotherapy Linguistics View 12 other Masters in Linguistics in Hong Kong (SAR)
- A Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent from a recognised institution.
- Applicants should possess Chinese language proficiency at a level equivalent to The Hong Kong Certificate of Education Examination (HKCEE) Chinese Language Grade D or above; or the Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education Examination (HKDSE) Level 4 or above.
- Applicants should be able to communicate verbally in both Cantonese and English effectively, and proficiency in Mandarin (Putonghua) is preferred.
Those who have a Bachelor's degree in linguistics, psychology, speech and language sciences, or health-related disciplines are preferred.
International662 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 662 USD per credit and a duration of 30 months.
National609 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 609 USD per credit and a duration of 30 months.
- HK$4,740 per credit for local students
- HK$5,150 per credit for non-local students
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.