The curriculum has a cross-cultural focus designed to take advantage of Hong Kong's historical, geographical and political position. Each course considers different theories, languages and literatures of cross-cultural exchange, especially with respect to East-West and post-colonial thinking.
The programme in English Studies at The University of Hong Kong includes courses in Cross-cultural Theory, Language and Communication, Global Fictions, Post-Colonial Representations, Travel Writing and Culture, World Modernism, The Politics of English, Cultural Semiotics, New Media and Discourse and Global Englishes.
The main prerequisite for this programme is a solid background at UG level in writing critical essays on language and literature. Much of the theory will be new and the programme will begin at the beginning and assume no prior knowledge of it. However, reading in some of the theories used in the programme, such as theories of language and communication, semiotic theories, Orientalism, post-colonial theory, theories of globalisation and cross-cultural theory, is recommended as preparation.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Please note that our MA is not an English as a Second Language or an English teaching programme.
- Although many of our students are English teachers or teachers-to-be, our focus is purely on literature and language as fields of critical enquiry, and the programme does not focus on pedagogical methods or improving language skills.
- Our programme assumes that you already have a strong foundation in reading and writing in English.
- In addition to regular classes, candidates will be required to complete a capstone course in their final semester that will culminate in a final creative project to be presented at a conference to the academic and wider community.
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies View 16 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in Hong Kong (SAR)
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A good Bachelor's degree with a major in English or a closely related subject from a recognised university.
- Applicants are required to submit a personal statement and a writing sample in English.
- An interview may be used to ascertain the most suitable candidates.
International25161 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 25161 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
National17290 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 17290 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
- Locals: HKD$134,000 per annum
- Non-locals: HKD$195,000 per annum
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.