The master's in French Literature and Culture at Leiden University offers an excellent qualification in French and Francophone literature and culture. All classes taught in French, which will greatly improve your fluency in oral and written French.
During this master’s programme you will study French literature from France and beyond, ranging from the Middle Ages to the present. The programme offers courses in the ‘traditional’ canon of French literature, but also goes beyond it, focusing on francophone literature from origins as diverse as the Caribbean and the Maghreb.
You will be able to design your curriculum according to your career goals or interests. Concentrate on French literature from the 20th and 21st century, or on courses related to medieval or early modern literature. You will also be able to combine French literature courses with Masterlanguage and French linguistics courses.
French Literature and Culture at Leiden University is an accredited degree programme. After successful completion of this programme, you will receive a master’s degree in Literary Studies and the title Master of Arts (MA).
Our alumni have taken positions as a:
- French teacher in a secondary school
- French teacher in professional higher education
- Literary translator
- Business translator
- Editorial secretary & editor at a publishing house
- PhD candidate at a Dutch or foreign university
- Publishing assistant at a publishing house
- Marketing and communications officer at a telecom company
- Policy advisor at a Dutch university
- Foreign rights manager at a publishing house
- Journalist at a press company
More informationVisit official programme website
The French Literature and Culture specialisation consists of four courses and an MA thesis:
- Courses 1 and 2: Any two courses from the French Literature and Culture programme;
- Course 3: Any course offered from the French Literature and Culture programme or any other course within the MA in Literary Studies;
- Course 4: Any course offered from the French Literature and Culture programme or any other course within the MA in Literary Studies, a course on a literary subject taught in another MA, a course offered within the MA in Linguistics: French Language and Linguistics, or a course offered via Masterlanguage.
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, International
- Deadline passed, EEA/EU
- Apply before , International
- Deadline passed, EEA/EU
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Language Studies Literature View 27 other Masters in Literature in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A copy of a valid passport or ID card
- A copy of a Dutch residence permit (if applicable)
- CV (résumé)
- Language proficiency (if applicable)
- Copies of diplomas and transcripts
International18300 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 18300 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA2143 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2143 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.