The Culture and Politics specialisation considers the cultural dynamics of power, dominance, and resistance. As part of the specialisation you will study the relationship between political concepts and a large variety of cultural forms.
The specialisation also examines the transnational production, distribution, and consumption of culture, problematising “national” cultural and “soft power” policies. In addition, you will address phenomena such as emotion, subliminal representation, and transnational flow of cultural products and ideas in depth.
During your studies, you are eligible to apply to the prestigious MA in International Affairs at the School of Advanced International Studies of Johns Hopkins University, Bologna.
Join the MA International Relations Student for a Day event on Tuesday 18 February. At this event you will get the opportunity to join a lecture and meet students who are enrolled in the programme. You will also be able to ask students and the Coordinator of Studies any questions you might have.
Culture and Politics at Leiden University is an accredited degree programme of International Relations. After successful completion of this programme, you will receive a legally accredited master’s degree in International Relations and the title Master of Arts (MA).
Career prospectsExamples of the diverse roles of our graduates include:
- Policy advisor, at a ministry of foreign affairs
- Communications manager and project assistant at an NGO promoting reconciliation and peace
- Consular spokesperson at a ministry of foreign affairs
- Consultant at an NGO
- Project manager at a company specialising in geo-services, international development and project management
- PhD candidate and research assistant
- Communications officer at an international student federation
- Research analyst at a consultancy firm
- Product manager at a multinational company
- University relations manager at an education intermediary
- Senior immigration expert at a multinational accountancy and consultancy firm
More informationVisit official programme website
- The preparatory course introduces you to core conceptual, methodological and theoretical issues you meet when you initiate, research, and write your MA thesis.
- In addition, a series of seminars will enable you to discuss specific issues related to International Relations. Your thesis is supposed to be based on original research that speaks to the core themes of the MA International Relations.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, International
- Deadline passed, EEA/EU
- Apply before , International
- Deadline passed, EEA/EU
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Political Science View 53 other Masters in Political Science in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A copy of a valid passport or ID card
- A copy of a Dutch residence permit (if applicable)
- CV (résumé)
- Language proficiency (if applicable)
- Copies of diplomas and transcripts
- Motivation letter
- Letters of recommendation
- Requirements for and how to submit letters of recommendation
International18300 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 18300 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA2143 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2143 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.