The Criminology and Criminal Psychology programme at the University of Essex Online helps you take advantage of the new opportunities available within psychology, as well as making you aware of how new and growing challenges can be addressed. You’ll delve into a range of specialist topics such as:
- the sociological approach to crime, criminology and criminological theory
- the role of forensic psychology in manging mentally disordered offenders
- the status of the victim throughout the criminal process
- the historic relationship between psychology and policing, and what this means for modern policing
- critical assessment of complex criminal investigations in accordance with national standards.
Towards the end of your degree, you will produce an original piece of research on the topic of your choice within criminology and criminal psychology, conducting research retrieval and thorough analysis of the issue and presenting it effectively.
Throughout the course you will debate course content with fellow professionals, improving your skills in critical reasoning, communication and leadership, all of which will enhance your potential in future roles related to criminology.
Senior roles within criminal justice are often a career objective for our criminology graduates. Many go on to serve as analytical police staff or police officers, or in offender support, probation, prison and victim services.
The course will also be useful for those seeking employment within security services and the National Crime Agency.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Teaching methods and style
- Essex Online is a 100% online education provider, so we use a state-of-the art Virtual Learning Environment to deliver teaching, resources and assessments. The system tracks and manages the learning process in real-time and provides you with immediate access to your learning materials. The VLE allows both students and tutors to actively take part in real-time conversations and listen to and view live lectures and seminars.
- You are supported throughout your course by a dedicated Student Adviser and have opportunities to regularly interact with fellow students and your tutor. To ensure you receive the support you need from your tutor, University of Essex Online caps the class sizes at 20 students.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesPsychology Criminal Law Criminology View 16 other Masters in Criminology in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
An undergraduate degree from an approved institution, equivalent to a UK Honours degree, or a relevant professional qualification
Senior level work experience
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International5611 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11222 GBP for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA5611 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11222 GBP for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Getting a Student Visa
This is an online programme. You can attend from the comfort of your chair! So you don't need a student visa!
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.