The objective of the Development Studies programme from Lund University is to provide you with the background knowledge and concrete skills to understand, assess and work in development-related fields, whether in direct poverty reduction or in other aspects of social and institutional development.
The medium of instruction is English. This means that lectures and seminars will be given in English and that examinations (including the master's thesis) will be in English.
During the third term (third semester) you are free to choose to do an internship, exchange studies, or take elective courses. You will be given ample opportunities for developing your intellectual capacities, expanding your skills and competencies, building up your network, as well as preparing for your life after your master's, whether your goal is to stay in academia or find work in NGOs, the private sector or the public sector.
The programme provides you with both the background knowledge and the practical skills needed to work in development-related fields. You will gain a critical understanding of trends and debates within development work. You will be prepared to make contributions to sustainable development in a role such as policymaker or practitioner in government agencies, private firms and NGOs. Alternatively, you can pursue doctoral studies and a continued academic career.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Theories and Issues in Development
- Theory of Sciences/Research Methods
- Research Methods
- Historical Aspects of Development
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesSustainable Development View 44 other Masters in Sustainable Development in Sweden
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A Bachelor s degree with a major in one of the following social sciences disciplines: development studies, education, gender studies, human geography, political science, social work, social anthropology, sociology and sociology of law or equivalent. A major is equivalent to a minimum of 90 credits or 50% of all degree course-work within one of the above social sciences disciplines. English 6/English Course B.
- Based on their previous study results (grades on courses and thesis in the Bachelor s degree), proficiency in English and either a statement of purpose or a draft thesis proposal.
International10445 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 20891 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
Full programme/course tuition fee: SEK 220 000
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.