We are a professional learning community challenging talented musicians to develop into competent and socially involved professionals.
As creative makers, they are able to develop innovative concepts and transform them into artistic, meaningful musical products and services. This is how our learning community connects with, and enriches people and society. The Master of Music educates engaged, first class musicians with different cultural and musical backgrounds. Our aim is to help you develop and share your talent, and to move the world together!
The New York Jazz at the Hanze University of Applied Sciences, Groningen is based on the active connection between the Jazz Department of the Prince Claus Conservatoire and the Jazz community in New York City. For example, during your studies in The Netherlands renowned musicians from New York visit on a weekly basis to teach you. In addition, all New York Jazz students go to New York City to live and study during their third semester! Besides this you receive lessons taught by our own renowned teachers in Groningen.
- Your personal study plan is the starting point for your study. Using your study plan you work on developing your own voice by doing research and by practicing, composing and/or arranging music.
- To support this you can receive weekly lessons in improvisation, arranging, and composition.
- Together with your fellow students you form an ensemble where you work on your playing skills and your own repertoire. In this ensemble you are able to experiment with your research results. You are also guided by a coach every week and you take lessons from a different New York teacher every week.
- You will also have main instrument lessons from our Netherlands-based teachers.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Music Musicology View 113 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
The Master of Music programme is the sequel to the Bachelor of Music, both nationally and internationally. Target groups for admission are recently graduated Dutch and international Bachelor of Music students. The Master of Music programme may also be interesting for candidates who have been working in the professional field for several years.
All candidates must have:
- convincing musical and artistic capacities
- a study attitude that is inquisitive and open-minded; investigative and innovative; independent and reflective.
- professional and intellectual capacities on the level of higher education.
In addition, candidates:
- want to make an active contribution to the further development of professional practice.
- want to delve into the meaning of music practice for society.
International6816 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6816 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA1084 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1084 EUR per year during 24 months.
The tuition fee for the first year is €1,084 for EU students. For subsequent years, the annual amount is around €2,168. Check our website for more information.
Living costs for Groningen
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.