The Comparative Studies in History and Society programme from Koc University, which serves a growing need in Turkey for interdisciplinary graduate programs in the social sciences, offers a theoretically-driven, historically-informed, and empirically-rigorous graduate education.
The CSHS M.A. program is a two-year degree program with a thesis. Students take courses in the first year and conduct their research and complete a thesis in the second year. The students identify specific faculty whom they wish to collaborate with on mutually agreed upon research projects. Mirroring the methodological diversity of its faculty, students have utilized a wide range of historical and sociological methods, including case-study and comparative historical approaches, quantitative survey methods, ethnography, archival research, content analysis, and a variety of mixed methods approaches.
- The program will help serve the career needs of students in two ways. First, the program will prepare students who wish to continue on to Ph.D. programs in Turkey, Europe and North America. Second, it will train students who interested in research and policy-related positions in governmental, non-governmental and international organizations in Turkey.
- Research Methods and Design
- Social Theory
- Historical Sociology
- Economy and Society
- Turkish State and Society
- Thesis Seminar
- You must have a 2,5 GPA for application for MA Applications.
- We strongly encourage applicants to submit a scanned image of the transcript at the time of application, which can speed processing; however, a final, official transcript will be required of all admitted students during registration.
- The Graduate School requires two letters of recommendation for MA applications.
- Applicants to MA and PhD programs must have their results from the Graduate Record Examination (GRE-for foreign applicants) or ALES (Akademik Lisansüstü Eğitim Sınavı-for native applicants) General Test sent to the Graduate School.
- Writing a Statement of Purpose
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 USD per year during 24 months.
NationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 USD per year during 24 months.
- If you are offered admission into the program you will also automatically receive a scholarship offer (full tuition waiver).
Living costs for Istanbul
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
While all admitted students will receive tuition remission, university scholarship funding for monthly stipends is competitive. Applicants eligible for a TUBITAK scholarship should apply for one. We will also accept students without stipends.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.