It gives students the skills to study the survival and transmission of culture across time and space, with an emphasis on the afterlife of antiquity. All of our graduates are awarded a University of London degree.
- The course aims to equip students for interdisciplinary research in the late medieval and early modern period, with a particular emphasis on the reception of the classical tradition.
- The Cultural, Intellectual and Visual History programme at School of Advanced Study, University of London combines the study of images and texts, art history, philosophy, the history of science, European literature and the impact of religion on society and is offered full-time or part-time.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCore modules: term 1
- Explore European early modern social and religious life, intellectual ideas and visual culture. Students develop skills in the analysis of primary texts, images and key secondary material in the field of cultural and intellectual history.
Optional modules: term 2 (two to be chosen)
- Artistic Intentions 1400 to 1700
- The History of the Book in the Renaissance
- Islamic Authorities and Arabic Elements in the Renaissance
- Music and the Arts in the Late Middle Ages and the Renaissance
- Italian Mural Painting and the Making of Visual Cultures
- Mapping Worlds: Medieval to Modern
- Renaissance Material Culture
- Sin and Sanctity in the Reformation
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies History Modern History View 474 other Masters in History in United Kingdom
- The normal minimum entrance requirement is a First or Upper Second Class Honours degree from a university in the UK, or an overseas qualification of an equivalent standard.
- We will consider applications from candidates who do not meet the formal academic requirements but who offer alternative qualifications and/or relevant experience. Applicants are not required to have a law degree nor a professional qualification in law.
- English is the language of instruction and applicants are required to demonstrate an appropriate level of proficiency.
International16335 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 16335 GBP for the full programme and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA7315 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 7315 GBP for the full programme and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.