The Advanced Master of Deglutology at KU Leuven originated from a high demand for professionals specialised in the care of patients with swallowing disorders in the mouth, throat or oesophagus.
This interdisciplinary programme will cover all the associated areas of study and equip the student with the necessary tools and experience to enter the workplace with confidence to solve problems and to face the current challenges in clinical care.
As a deglutologist, you will be an immediately employable professional, able to care for patients of all ages presenting with dysphagia, whose swallowing may have been affected by a variety of underlying medical pathologies such as prematurity, cerebral palsy, stroke, head and neck cancer, neurodegenerative disease, upper gastrointestinal disorders etc.
Deglutologists find careers in the life sciences domain in the broadest sense, including healthcare, academia and industry. The growing need for deglutologists in medical care and science ensures a large variety of job opportunities in clinical and applied research.
- Science and Research Training in Deglutology
- Anatomy, Physiology and Pathophysiology of Deglutition
- Deglutition and its Disorders in the Paediatric Population
- Deglutition and its Disorders in Adult Population
- Assessment of Deglutition in Adult Population
- Clinical Diagnostic Skills in Deglutology
The programme targets students or professionals with a master's degree in medicine or speech language pathology from an accredited university.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesHuman Medicine Health Sciences View 10 other Masters in Health Sciences in Belgium
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
The programme is intended for candidates or professionals who hold a:
- Master’s Degree in Medicine, Speech Pathology, Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy and Dentistry. All other relevant Master’s Degrees will be carefully considered and evaluated per individual request.
4 or 5 year University Bachelor’s Degree in Speech Pathology, Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy or Dentistry with access to higher degree education (e.g. honours programme providing access to PhD).
- All applicants will be evaluated by the admission committee.
- Credentials regarding prior education: In order to gauge whether the expected entry level matches the applicants curriculum, it is required that the applicant submits a complete transcript of his/her academic records.
- - Certified copies of transcripts and diplomas are required for all applicants.
- - A complete list of course titles for which the student has obtained a credit
International6600 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6600 EUR per year during 12 months.
EU/EEA6600 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6600 EUR per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Leuven
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.